Looking for a lost recipe....

Options
Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 12. Jun 2014, 15:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
Three fruit cake with cooked caramel icing. I believe the recipe came from the UK but I'm not 100% sure. It was my mum's and a favorite of mine with bananas, oranges and a third, perhaps pineapple or apple(?). It also has raisins, so they may be the third fruit. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it? I've looked all over the internet for it and not had any luck. Absolutely delicious cake and not a Christmas fruit cake, I think.

I'd look in my mum's recipe box but she has Alzheimer's and gets very worried and paranoid if anyone goes snooping in her cupboards. Sadly, she forgets I'm her daughter :cry:

If I had the recipe, I could coach hubby on making it :D Believe it or not, he likes it when I teach him cooking/baking. Perfect for an arthritic wife!

Comments

• LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Your cake sounds delicious! It also vaguely rings a bell. I'll have to look in a few of my recipe folders to see if I could be of any help.
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    No help with your recipe sadly ; but suggest a recipe by Simon Rimmer from a ch 4 programme : Caramelised banana and orange loaf .
    mamasmurf
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you both.

I'll have a look at that recipe, mamasmurf, thanks!
  • LisaW
    Options
    So had a look through my folders and found this recipe. Not exactly what you have described but might help

Old Southern Caramel Cake recipe. It is very sweet. I hope this helps. I can't remember if I ever tried this recipe but here it is anyway.....

Caramel Cake, southern style - Allison Hanner

3 cups sugar
    1.5 cups shortening
    3 cups plain flour
    6 eggs
    1.5 tsp. baking powder
    1.5 tsp. vanilla
    1.5 cups milk

Cream sugar and shortening until smooth.
    Add all other ingredients and beat for 5 minutes.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes in 3 round
    cake pans that have been greased and floured.
    Let cakes cool before icing.

Icing
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 stick butter
    1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and cook
    2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and
    bubbly. Remove from heat and let cool until fairly thick
    and just warm. Pour over cakes and assemble layers.
    Keep piling icing back onto cake with knife until
    cooled.

Googled briefly and found a layered fruit cake with caramel frosting recipe http://www.cooks.com/recipe/9s59f4gg/layered-fruitcake-with-caramel-frosting.html

Happy baking!
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you, Lisa. I'll give the second one a try, with modifications to make it husband-as-baker-friendly :) That's the closest to the lost recipe I've seen.

Many thanks, Anna
  • LisaW
    Options
    Glad to be of service:) Think I will give the cake a try too this weekend. Let me know how yours turns out.

Lisa