Oesto ? Or inflammatory ???

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 7. Jun 2014, 13:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
So I have seronegative arthritis diagnosed 7 years ago on sulfa now x have been struggling for past 3 months with pain etc intensely last few weeks contacted rhumy just got back from visiting them x because my main joints are affected x the registrar thought it wasnt my inflammatory flaring ?? Sent me for x- rays on hips lower back etc ( last x rays was over 7 years ago when first diagnosed ) he mentioned Oesto but thought I was too young for it (38) I had been told previously that I will get Oesto earlier than others due to inflammatory ! Got an app 4 th July with consultant -I have visual swelling with bruising ??? Any ideas guys ? Finding it hard to walk and get upstairs x sleep is a issue as my hips are affected and it hursts to lay on my side :cry: xxx Tia xx

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tia;

I know how hard it can be waiting for anwsers when you are in pain.

Where is the pain? When I have pain on the outside of my "hip", actually the trochanter area, it's usually bursitis and not the joint. If I have pain in the groin, it's the hip joint.

I have PsA and it's affected both hips and has lead to OA too. The OA pain is steadier and is worse with more time I spend on my feet. My PsA is not well controlled so it is hard to tell the difference sometimes.

I really feel for you, hip pain is really nasty and makes sleep impossible for me. Are some stronger pain meds an option for you short-term until your appointment?

Best wishes.
    xxAnna
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Thank you for your reply xx my name is Lynne - TIA was thank you in advance lol xx

He didnt mention bursatis ??? - I am not sure what you mean on the outside of my hip ? the main areas of pain are my lower back and hips, I struggle to walk - especially after sitting for 10 mins or more - the swelling is in my lower back - but my knees are also painful from time to time with swelling and bruising!

No they didnt offer any more pain relief - the medication I am now on - isnt effecting my pain :( xx I am also not sure of what can be done for Oesto ?? xx
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Hi Lynne; :lol::lol: TIA, hadn't heard that one before :lol: Sorry, I should have got it from your forum name :oops: I'm a little stupid these days.

The spot I get bursitis is the outside of the thigh where it meets pelvis. It makes sleeping on one's side almost impossible, so I thought perhaps you had pain there.

The SI joint, low back pain for me seems to radiate all over the pelvis and even down the back of my thighs. This, and groin pain, which is hip joint pain, can make it really difficult to tell which is which. hip joint pain also seems to refer to the front of the thigh.

I remember a general rule in the medical literature that if the pain gets worse with activity, it's osteoarthritis and if it is worse in the second half of the night and in the morning, it is inflammatory. I think it's a pretty general rule. It goes along with the 30 morning stiffness rule, indicating an inflammatory arthritis.

I can't help with drugs for osteo, sorry. I'd go back and complain about pain relief not working. There are some good pain meds out there and you shouldn't have to suffer to the point of not sleeping! Lack of sleep will make the pain worse.

I don't know if this is at all helpful?
    Take care, and best wishes for your appointment.
    xxAnna
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    hmm bursatis wasnt mentioned!

I am stiffer for def 30 mins in a morning, pain doesnt get worse with exersize if anything it stretches things out and is looser after x the pain is DEF worse the 2nd half of the night!! - i get to sleep fine then wake up 4am onwards with pain to the point where I get up xx

so that makes sense - to be fair he didnt really know what he was doing i was telling him things :-) x however I understand it is a teaching hospital etc etc!! - I told him I couldnt cope with the pain - I think I am on the maximum I can be for now! - i believe the next step is ruling out OA (x rays should do that hopefully) then changing my Dmards!! I just hope the next 4 weeks arent too painful :-( xx thankyou for your reply xxxxx
  • Boomer13
    Options
    I meant to say morning stiffness for 30 minutes or more...

Hoping your month isn't too painful.
    (())Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have OA as a result of my sero-negative PsA, my rheumatologist ignores it because it's not in her remit. As I've mentioned to you before you seem not to be on enough medication to tackle the root of the auto-immune arthritis so it's no wonder that OA is now developing. Many people on here have both so you're not alone in that. When you see your rheumatologist ask some questions about the medications that you haven't been offered: if you want to tackle these problems before you end up like me then you need the stronger meds - believe me when I say it's not fun being me. :lol: DD

PS I start stiff and stay stiff, nothing eases it.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    DD's right. Unfortunately it's not an either / or. My osteo developed as a result of my RA. back then the latter was only treated with NSAIDS which don't cut the mustard. I'm glad yours is being dealt with.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    The registrar asked if I had ever been offered anything else other than sulfa I said no!! And that's the problem I think!! And that was that end if conversation!! I can only hope that when I go back in 4 th they are ready to offer me more meds xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    The thing is, Lynne, if you've felt previously that the sulph was working they'd have no reason to offer more or to increase the dose. If your current problems are caused by inflammatory arthritis then they probably will. If osteo, your GP will treat it with pain meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I was told that if you have aggressive, uncontrolled inflammatory arthritis, you are more likely to get OA at a younger age. In non-medical terms; basicvally if the RA 'eats away' at all the synovial fluid, it then begins to attack the ends of the bones. When my rheum saw that I was developing OA in my mid twenties, she upped the RA meds, so maybe this is something that needs to be discussed? However, on the other hand, radiologists are the experts and together with your rheum/rheum nurse, will be able to tell what is the nature of the joints 'wearing and tearing'. I really dislike the term 'wear and tear' arthritis but it kind of makes sense in this context, I think.

Best of luck!
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    when I was examined yesterday there was lots of clicks hips going on x these have come on in the last 12 months x I wonder if that's an indication to anything ??? Thank you for your reply xx I have spent years with the disease under control and hate the fact that it isn't now :-( xxxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Tia
    Sorry I wont be much help, but after 4 years of OA and me thinking there was more going on, I have not long ago seen a rheumy..and he ordered a MRI of my spine and sacroiliac joint and next week I have an ultrasound on my hand and wrist..so I am hoping this will give me some answers, the strongest medication I have been on are cocodamols and Butran patches..not a clue if the meds you are on would have helped, I do wish you well with the appointment and pleased let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara