Shopping Arthur

Options
kimbo1
kimbo1 Member Posts: 29
edited 9. Jun 2014, 10:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

Last week I went shopping to buy a new dress for my graduation ball and came across some unusual problems thanks to my mate Arthur!

Was trying on some 'slinky' dresses and suddenly found I had my arms stuck in the dress above my head and was helpless and stuck :P Being the stubborn individual I am I decided I didn't need any help and started to wiggle and finally became free again!

I ended up buying a slightly looser dress which I can get in and out of without Arthur trapping me.

I then had the challenge of finding nice shoes that weren't to clumpy or high. After going in and out of many shops I found those shoes I was looking for!

Looking back it makes me chuckle (if I don't I will cry!) on how something I used to manage so easily becomes a challenge. Anyone else have shopping tales?

Kimbo

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Nothing as dramatic as that, but I find it hard to look at clothes that are displayed high up, as supermarkets tend too, and then to reach up to them to find my size. Sorry to hear about your dress finding problems, but feel sure you'll look great in what you chose. It's not shopping related but having just changed to a three door car I'm finding it painful/hard to reach round to the seat belt.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I have all sorts of dressing problems but I can't remember when I last got an arm above my head. About the 1970s I think :lol: I also don't try things on in shops as I need all sorts of dressing aids and a high seat. Thank God I hate shopping anyway :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I rarely try things on in shops - I have to be having a marvellous day to make the effort to get undressed, dress in the new item/s, remove said new item/s then re-dress worthwhile; those days are now few and far between. :lol: Unlike Sticky I adore shopping, especially for sparkly things - trying on rings is always feasible no matter what the state of my joints. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I don't try things on in shops either.....like most others I take them home and bring them back again.
    As or reaching up for high clothes {always in supermarkets}
    I use my crutch to hook one of them and bring it down and then I'm afraid it gets hung on a lower rail if I'm not buying it :oops:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I tried on a sports bra in a large cheap sports retailer. Managed to get it on but no way was it coming off! I have arthritis of the thumbs, particularly and had a trapeziectomy last September so my grip is pretty poor......thankfully my husband came to the rescue. :mrgreen:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I am glad you managed to get something suitable I am sure you will look lovely, I hope you enjoy the ball. Like some of the others I buy and try on at home as I have arthritis in my hands also weakness due to neuropathy, I try on before going to bed then its just my night clothes I have to put on.....................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I can't manage the trying-things-on either, but I love shopping too. I usually goes like this:

1) Get excited about going shopping.
    2) Go to shopping area with a few planned stops.
    3) Go to first and pick out a few things.
    4) Realise I am now exhausted and can't stand up any longer.
    5) Return home exhausted and empty handed.
    6) Make tea, lie down and resume shopping online
    :D:D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I should have added, kimbo, that I hope your graduation party goes really well and I'm sure you'll look stunning (now that you don't have to go as the Statue of Liberty :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • kimbo1
    kimbo1 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hello

Thanks everyone will be going dosed up on tramadol so will hopefully enjoy the night without too much pain!.

I have never got on with online shopping so find that regular coffee breaks help me when out shopping
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hey
    Hope you have fun at the party. I hate shopping. I am an in out kind of person just get what I need. If I go with friends I annoy them as I just follow them round aimlessly plus it hurts like hell.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Might there be a connection there, Kittkat? I recall enjoying shopping as a young teenager. Then it all got more painful and less fun. Now, like you, I go, sweep round what's needed and get to where I can sit again asap.

Taking my mother shopping was a nightmare. She would stand for ages comparing prices. Finally, legs dropping off, I'd ask which she wanted. “Oh I don't want any” she'd reply “but just look at what they cost.” :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    LOL Kimbo! I pretty much just shop online these days. Can't bear the thought of going into a shop and trying on anything in a tiny dressing room! My local PO is very familiar with me. I rather have a trip to the PO to send things back than go to the shops. Saying that I do love a good browse in J*** Lewis:)