working with extra resposibilities

Options
sandrat
sandrat Member Posts: 4
Hi
Can anyone advise please - I suffer with Osteoarthritis in my feet, knees, hands neck and shoulders - I was diagnosed in 2008 and attended works O/T who accepted that I should be classified under the DDA. At that point work were very good and purchased the chair and equipment that I needed - they also allowed me to work 8 - 4 as I have a long commute and try to take only the minimum amount of pain killers during the day so I'm not tired and sleepy on the motorway going home - Eighteen months ago I was told that I would have to work over till 5pm every other week and had increased responsibilities given me - last week I was told that I will have to work till 5pm every night ( although a manager who is coming into the section will be allowed to finish at 4pm because she has a long commute - same distance as mine) plus they have taken staff away from our section and given me work to do for another section as well as my own increased work load. They seem to be over looking my condition with all this extra work and stress and I'm not sure if this is discrimination under the DDA. Can anyone advise me please
so sorry for such a long first post - just didn't want to miss anything out

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm not the best person to advise on such matters as I haven't managed to work since I had my elder son (now aged 43 :roll: ) and I do hope someone with better knowledge will come along soon. However, I had a look on https://www.gov.uk/rights-disabled-person/further-help-and-advice and they suggest:

Equality Advisory Support Service
    Disability Rights UK
    Advicenow
    Citizens Advice
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sandrat
    Options
    Hi Sticky wicket

Thank you for those - I'll have a look at their sites and see about contacting them for advice

Many thanks

Sandra T.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Sandra,

what about ACAS and the CAB? If you are part of a Union they may be able to advise. As you've already been seen by your work's OT before I'd ask to go back.

With regards to the extra responsibilities, if they are something you physically are unable to do, say so.

Unfortunately employers do discriminate although they are not meant to these days.

I hope you get this sorted.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • sandrat
    Options
    Thanks Grace - I have rejoined the union as the situation has got worse since I first posted - I'll take a look at the ACAS site now
    Thank you