Cooking for dummies

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 13. Jun 2014, 03:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm not a good cook. I never had any incentive as Mr SW and the two master SWs would, from the off, eat anything that was put before them. I never liked cooking. It involves far too much painful standing or sitting and failing to chop or mix things because none of my barely moving parts are at the right angle.

But...

...I've just made one of my favourite preparations - some fish cakes for tonight. A concoction of leftovers. My speciality. Quick, fun and never the same twice. Today's involved leftover potatoes, cauli and carrots with chucked in chives (couldn't be bothered with finely chopped onion) capers (I love capers), tinned salmon, pepper, quite a lot of lime juice and an egg – and breadcrumbs. All done and dusted and even washed up in ½ hour. Only the veg to do later. My kind of cooking.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sound lovely. I've only ever attempted to make fishcakes once and despite carefully following the recipie although they tasted fine they were not a thing of beauty. I must admit I do less "real" cooking than I used too mainly because not only is chopping etc painful, and potentially dangerous if my left hand is having a day where I keep fumbling with things but I find just looking down at what I'm cooking soon gets very painful. However one of my favourite discoveries has been ready chopped frozen onions and during the winter soup making season I made use of ready prepared bags of veggies.
    Enjoy them tonight.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    beauty? Who said anything about beauty, Slosh :lol:

It must be difficult when you can't look down for any length of time. But, as for the chopping etc what about a veg chopper? It's worth looking in Disability Aid shops because they have lots of stuff you (ie I :roll: ) hadn't thought of.

The fishcakes weren't my best effort but the wine was good :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    What a good idea Sticky, I'm doing quite well on collecting kitchen gadgets, I now have an electric jar opener and an electric carving knife which I use for cutting bread but hadn't thought about one of those. I will visit a well known internet site and see what they have to offer.
    Hope the fishcakes were good.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oooh I love fishcakes and I have been meaning to make my own salmon ones for ages but haven't got round it. I like cooking but I'm not great at it and find it a bit of a faff. Being impatient doesn't help!

You've inspired me though, think I will finally make those salmon fishcakes this week.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm a devotee of the 'Iffits' school of cooking: if it's in the fridge I'll use it somehow.

Mr DD made fishcakes a couple of weekends ago - they were a disaster. They began fish-cake-shaped but ended up looking like a tray bake; we had fish squares. They tasted OK though! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben