Well it seemed like a good idea...

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 12. Jun 2014, 07:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
First of all let me say that until last October I had no difficulty walking so I'm still adjusting.
It's a lovely day I thought. I'll go for a walk I thought. So far so good until instead of my usual "round the block" type walk I decided to turn the other way, ignored my head when it started to say it was time to start heading back and went with my heart which was telling me to walk a bit further and then walk home through the forest, ( although I live in East London I have the edges of Epping Forest at the end of my road).
It was lovely until.... I found I had walked further than I had realised, couldn't then take the most direct route to my road, very muddy and then some steep and uneven steps, so I had to go back until I was able to get back to a road. By that time I had to stop several times before I finally made it in.
I have now learnt a, not to plan a walk that is likely to take more than 40 minutes without a sit down, b, to take my oyster card with me and next time do the forest first and then walk back to a bus stop where, c, I have become someone who gets on the bus for one stop.
I know this will be familiar to many of you, but as a newbie it's another lesson learnt.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Slosh, we've all done it. It's so easy to forget that the length of the journey back must be factored in. Plus, I think, once things really start playing up, it all gets worse much quicker. I do hate and resent having to be sensible but the alternative is not good. Chalk it up to experience and remember how you felt at the end :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh dear slosh, as Sticky said it's all down to experience, you will learn to judge and pace yourself. We have all been down that road i'm sure it will get easier to gauge how much and how far you can push yourself(or not) some of these to hopefully help meantime (((()))).....................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Vdonn
    Vdonn Member Posts: 17
    Options
    I was only diagnosed in March with OA in the knee. Use to walking up to 8 miles now feel good if I do 4 miles. It has been hard to adjust & still coming to terms with it, but as my DH says at least you can still walk & drive. had some bad days with pain in every joint but last few days felt better than I have for a long time, is it the sun shining, who knows!
    Vera
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all. I have decided that when I make my planned visit to Kew Gardens I will be sensible and buy a ticket for the land train rather than just stride out. Vera I am happy that I am know able to drive again and was sensible here as I have just got a car with automatic transmission and reverse parking sensors.

I know better for next time.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah yes, been there, done that and have learned my lesson. We learn through our mistakes, at least if we have sense we do. Always take a mobile, pain relief and a bottle of water too, yes?

Thanks to the hot weather my PsA is having a snap at me, it's all I can do to get from one end of the house to the other. A day in bed beckons (deep, deep joy) but I must otherwise I won't be able to cook tonight. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Sorry to hear that the hot weather is not a good for you and hope you manage to get your day in bed. It must be frustrating when others are saying how much they are enjoying it. Hope that it gets to a more comfortable temperature for you soon.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Frustrating? No, not at all. Since the age of seven summer has always been a time of misery thanks to chronic asthma (which nearly killed me on three occasions because this was pre-inhaler days) and today is one of the days where I wish it had). I used to love the cold, bright, icy days of winter (which everyone else moaned about) but now that sets off the OA. Arthritis, the gift that keeps on giving all the year round. :roll: I am having my day in bed, this is one of the benefits in not working any more. From the way I am feeling I reckon this is the first of a few. Hey-ho. Never mind, I am sure I'll soon be back to the bliss of being only moderately grotty. :wink: DD

PS Another of DD's tried-and-tested methods of dealing with arthritis nonsense: stop when you think you can do more.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How is it for you today, Slosh? Any payback or have you managed to get off with a warning this time :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    No payback in terms of pain Sticky. Luckily I don't get any pain in my leg. The problem is muscle weakness which is caused by the fact that my cervical spondylosis is putting pressure on my spinal cord so the messages don't get through properly. Leg just gets very tired and after a while it takes more and more effort to move. It's the same with my left shoulder which after working beautifully for 3 months after my op has now just given up again.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Options
    DD I was sensible today. Went out for my normal 40 minutes round the block walk but realised after 10 that my leg was still not good after yesterday's escapade. Turned back and walked home rather than following my instinct to push myself to bo thst little bit more.
    Hope your day in bed starts to do the trick and soon restores you to moderately grotty.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ah a quick learner :D You'll do well, Slosh :wink:

Just a thought. Might a scooter help you to get a bit further afield? I know the problem is they don't give the exercise that walkling does but maybe as an occasional 'treat' :D
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    That's a kind thought Sticky but luckily I drive, been trying to do a regular walk as exercise and to get some fresh air. Mind you the deputy head at my school has said he has visions of me on a scooter chasing after children in the playground and generally getting up to mischief!
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Oh Slosh, that's a tough one, having to shorten walks when you are used to long ones. Mine have gradually shortened the last few years and now are almost non-existent. I do walk my 200m driveway twice a day, which has a hill and I struggle with hill every day. I used to be a big walker and it was most difficult to give up. I had a few where I'd overdone it, and now PsA has trained me not to do any over 10-15 min. I tried to keep up a 30 min daily walk but it was making me so exhausted and painful I stopped. The walks definitely helped me with depression; it's much worse now that I'm not able to go.

The good news is as far as fitness goes, it doesn't matter if you take one daily longish walk or several short ones, the fitness benefit is the same. A physio told me this.

I'm looking at scooters at the moment just to be able to get out a bit. It's a compromise, but I think I can adjust now :D I'm looking forward to getting one, so hopefully soon one will come along that we can afford :) .

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • dawnf43
    dawnf43 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi Slosh,

I too could walk with no problems until about 18 months ago.
    My OH and I enjoyed walking holidays in the Lake District and living at the coast we had a daily walk along the sea front of about 4-5 miles.

I developed OA in my ankle first quickly followed by both feet and now in my hands. I walk very slowly now using a stick. My OH finds it very frustrating as he wants to stride out.

Sometimes my OH will leave me sat on a bench looking out at the sea, while he goes for a swift walk. I suggested a scooter so that I could keep up with him but he was horrified :o at the idea.

I have had to get used to my limitations but just getting out in the nice weather helps with the depression.

I'm glad you've got a plan to still get out and about.

Dawn
  • Slosh
    Options
    Hi
    Taking it easy today after physio yesterday, but tomorrow plan to drive to a local museum which is set in a nice park and has a newly planted garden inspired by William Morris. Lots of benches and even a cafe! Looking forward to it.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It sounds lovely, Slosh, and very suitable with all those benches and a cafe. I hope you get the full benefit from today's rest.
    Steven Wright