What is the right course of action when . . .

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 14. Jun 2014, 10:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . . one has a bee in one's ankle-length nightie? After a necessary trip to J Sainsbury Esq. I returned in desperate need of a shower. I had one, cooled down and then donned a clean, 100% cotton-plus-ironed nightie (my favourite garb in humid weather, it is very humid here). Then it was time to stow away some shopping in the garage fridge and sort out a new solar lamp (a polyester pink globe effort which is hanging from a rose to see how it performs). This necessitated crossing the lawn which is riddled with white clover and thus many bees.

I became aware of a sensation plus buzzing sound. :shock: I did what any sensible woman would and shed the nightie (I thank whoever our garden is not overlooked) before scarpering indoors. I wonder if there is a chapter in any etiquette book about how to deal in a ladylike fashion with such an emergency? Fellow ladies, have you ever encountered such a situation and, if so, what did you do?

Yours, a somewhat embarrassed, DD. :oops:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    LOL, sorry to laugh at your predicament ;) Your tale reads like a Carry On movie. Wonder what Babs would have done.

In my opinion, I think you did the only thing you could. I would have done the same thing. I have been stung by plenty of bees, I don't need any more pain in my life :) I should say we all don't need any more pain in our lives.

xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Makes me think of the time when as a young and slim teenager I was sunbathing on the beach in my bikini when I suddenly realised there was a bee on my stomach. I called to my Mum expecting her to wave it away. Instead she threw a towel on it... OUCH! One very painful sting.

Love the image though.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    You are very brave DD... :o suppose you left the buzzing thing in shock :lol: ..so hopefully it will stay away in future...now what would I have done...we are not overlooked, but the poor cows in the fields would have got an eyeful :shock: no I wouldn't dare ...it does remind me of many years ago when my friend and I were sat in the garden sun bathing ..and she said I am sick of white marks and took her top down..so I joined her...just has the farmer went past on the tractor... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ooooh Barbara, lucky farmer says I. :wink: I am aware that bee stings are supposed to ease arthritic pain but, to be honest, I didn't want to find out. :) We have three kinds of bees in our garden (honey bees are nesting in the roof space above the upstairs shower room), my personal 'space invader' was one of the fat and furry black-and-yellow-efforts and yet again I am wilting in the heat so can't describe the third.

I've had enough, I'm off to drip in another room. My patience is being sorely tried. :roll: DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    DD, the bee incident sounds harrowing. Glad you didn't get stung. I'd have done the same, BTW.

Your story reminded me of an incident I had 20 yrs ago involving freshly sun-dried laundry, underwear, and a nasty sting :shock: :shock: It resulted in several earth-shattering screams, and some leaps into the air. Thankfully, it was in pre-arthritis days so removing the offending garments could be done swiftly. I still remember it well.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    :lol::lol: You were naked in your garden DD absolutely no excuses ..You are a very naughty girl...........xx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    now I cant cook my tea sensibly :lol::lol: oh b.........y h.. you do make me laugh xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    :o :shock: :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm sure you did the right thing. Surely the laws of etiquette would tell you to grin and bare (sic) it :wink: I hope you told the creature to bee off.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I shortly have to venture into the garden to go to the garage. I am donning trousers which will be tucked into wellies accompanied by my Driza-bone raincoat and hat.

It's a glorious morning here, I am sat in the kitchen window watching the birds, squirrel and field mouse all feeding merrily away - correction, two field mouses. :wink: As it's a glorious morning I will shortly be heading back to bed. :roll: DD

PS There's a hen blackbird perched just outside the window, stripping the mahonia berries off the branches whilst looking at me in-between the pecks. I'm not sure who's the more curious about the other.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Photo please. Mig
  • dawnf43
    dawnf43 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi DD

Good job your garden isn't overlooked!!

Many years ago, as a teenager I was stung on the knee by a wasp which had managed to get up the leg of my jeans.

I was on the top deck of a bus at the time and the only course of action was to remove the jeans to get rid of the wasp.

Fortunately, the bus was empty at the time. Although I suppose the driver would have been able to see through his mirror from downstairs. Not that it would have mattered if the bus was full. I hate wasps and the jeans would have come off no matter what.

It wasn't very funny at the time, but I have laughed about it many times since.

Dawn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    mig wrote:
    Photo please. Mig

Didn't you see it on Page 3 this morning :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,155
    Options
    Photo? Youtube, surely.

No idea what my course of action would be as my 'answer' is years of pyjamas, however that has its own troubles ie flea-up-trouser-leg thanks to neighbours cat; not nice. :roll:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,945
    Options
    Hello DD
    were you tip toeing through the clover and the bee's.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Joan! :lol: I was doing my best to do so! :wink: DD