Co-codamol (30/500) and Baileys- Birthday treat??

Options
dawnf43
dawnf43 Member Posts: 27
edited 2. Jul 2014, 04:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I take co-codamol 30/500 2 x 4 times a day for my OA.

I have a birthday coming up and have saved a miniature bottle of Bailey's from Christmas. As you can probably guess, i'm not much of a drinker!

On the instructions that come with the Co-codamol, it states that you should avoid alcohol. Does anyone else take these and have the occasional drink? How do they affect you?

I'm not sure whether I should have my Birthday treat or give it a miss. I can't do without my meds as even with them I'm still in alot of pain.

Thanks

Dawn

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Why not check it out with your pharmacist? I have, on rare occasions, swallowed my milder cocos with a wee dram :oops: but we're all different and on different meds. Maybe you take other meds besides the cocos. It all has to be taken into consideration. I don't drink Baileys so I don't know anything about the alcohol content. Am I right in thinking it's a liqueur? If so, the alcohol content could be high. Best to check it out with an expert, Dawn.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are taking the maximum daily dose, yes? On that basis I would advise against but, as Sticky says, check it with the pharmacist because none of us are doctors. I know my limits thanks to regular bloods and the meds I take and so far so good. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello Dawn
    i'm on the same as you as well as morphine liquid my( co-co's are effervescent tabs)
    i have had drop of delaneys a cheaper make of baileys in my coffee.
    joan
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I have a friend who is a pharmacist and when I was taking a lot of meds (tramadol - max dose and the same co-cos as you) he said it was OK to have a drink too. The general rule is that any side effects are increased - you may well drop off to sleep earlier/easier than usual!! In fact, once the doziness of the tramadol had worn off for me I used to have a glass of wine with my nighttime dose so that I could get to sleep. I did admit it to my GP and she didn't shout at me! I think they say to avoid alcohol because of the increase in side effects rather than any life threatening effects.
    Obviously, I am not a doctor or a pharmacist - I just have a tame pharmacist!!!
  • feeringsteve
    feeringsteve Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I am on the same tabs, I always take my with a glass of port,the only way To go. you will fine
    steve
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Dawn

I was not having a drink when on cocos and was not a particularly happy bunny because of this restriction but that was what it said on the instructions.

We went out with friends and one of them is a nurse so I asked her. She said the only thing that would happen is that I may feel tired more quickly
    I had a drink and was fine.

We can only tell you about our experiences but you have to make up your own mind, in the end.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Dawn you are to strict ............ :lol: Happy Birthday xx
  • dawnf43
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your kind replies. It's still a week til my birthday but I think I will be having my Baileys. I already fall asleep at the drop of a hat but I'm not going out anywhere after so it won't matter if I nod off.
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    When I was taking the same dose the pharmacist said its ok to have ONE drink on a special occasion, but not regularly. My father takes them and drinks all the time, he said he was told its alright to drink, maybe at 82 they dont think its a problem. It will make you sleepy though as the tablets do anyway.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Drinking while on pain meds is fine on the odd occasion, you will just feel them work more than usual and end up falling to sleep, but for some that can be a bonus.

I was even told its ok to consume alcohol while taking meth, but strictly only reasonable amounts and not on a regular basis. The reason given was that meth puts the liver under strain to begin with and alcohol just adds to that strain which over time will cause damage.

I hope you enjoy your Baileys on your Birthday dawnf43!
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    If you dont celebrate, you'll never know.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know if this will help but I'd happily drink double vodka & cokes, I take 150mg tramadol Sr morning & night :wink: I must admit I've been on them a long time tho & I do know my limits but sadly we never go out anymore so I don't drink a drop .... Boo!!! :lol:

Check with ure Dr or pharmacist & have a fabulous birthday wot ever you decide :D

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Dakky
    Dakky Member Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm on the same dose of Co-Coeds.

I find that if you wait an hour after taking them and wait for the sleepy/numbing effect to wear off, I can have a drink with them no problems.

If I'm honest, I find alcohol to be the most effective pain killer I've had, and I' not talking about getting totalled. :D
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi dawn
    Frogmella and the others are right, it's not usually recommended due to the increased side effects ie drowsiness but a small baileys will be fine I'm sure!

Enjoy your baileys and birthday!
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I didnt know that you couldn't drink while on Meth, I usually have half class of wine after tea and then two co-dydramol at bed time, doesnt seem to have done me any harm though.
  • dawnf43
    Options
    Hi Guys

Well thank you for all your messages. I had my little bottle of Baileys and I wish I hadn't bothered. Unfortunately, it made me feel rather sick.

Even worse, my darling daughter bought me a 1 litre bottle for my birthday.

Never mind, I'm sure my OH will enjoy it.

Thanks again for all your birthday wishes.

Dawn (now 44)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Actually I'm not surprised it had that effect but I am sorry because it spoiled your celebration. Baileys et al are creamy and rich, and I reckon that our beleaguered systems sometimes struggle to cope with both (I know mine does). Over the years I have lost the taste for spirits, red wine, cream, biscuits, cake of all kinds, chocolate, coffee and over-sweetened yoghurts. I'll know that I really am up a certain creek without a useful implement when I lose my taste for raw veg. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Oh dear! How disappointing (x 2 :roll: ) after you'd taken such trouble to ensure all would go well. I confess I've never seen the point of Baileys. A good whisky spoilt as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I hope the birthday went well in all other ways, Dawn. Only 44? You're nobbut a bairn :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright