Arthritic joints 1 - Supermarket 0

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 13. Jun 2014, 06:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
In the supermarket this morning, my frozen veg were in a compartment above the chest freezer. All my arm and finger joints are now knackered and foreshortened but, ever the optimist, I leaned over, opened the door and grabbed. No joy.

I leaned over further, lunged and attempted to knock the packet down. Still no joy.

I leaned over as far as I dared, lunged again and managed to dislodge a packet which, thanks to years of garden cricket, I managed to catch in my odd-looking hands as it fell.

I turned to drop it in my trolley only to find an old guy standing next to me, smiling, enthralled and not a little perplexed by the spectacle. “Years of practice” I grinned and his smile got even broader.

I didn't hang about to see if he decided to have a go himself.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We do what we gotta do, yes? I find my crutch very handy for knocking things off high shelves and for hooking things out from the backs of the lower shelves. I wish I'd seen this one-woman display of creative thinking. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Sticky
    yes i have that problem i some times wait for a parsing person to go by.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    Joan, Mr SW (6'2") is always in great demand - which is probably why he's never near me when I need help :lol:

Our local supermarket will send an assistant round with people who need help. I never tried it but I think I'd need something of the kind if I were on a scooter. Well done you, for coping unaided.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Sticky,

I can well imagine the look of sheer determination on your face.

I am with DD on this as to an effective remedy. Crutches work extremely well, as indeed, do walking sticks. Not only for things high up but for items on the lower shelves which naturally scuttle to the back of the shelf upon one's approach!

Go girl, go!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    You are one very determined lady!
    Will the video be on youtube any time soon so others can learn your technique?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Very creative, I'm inspired :D
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Well impressed SW, must take up cricket :wink: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Hi SW,

Reading your post brought a smile to my face, well done you :)

I still have one of the boys to come with me whilst I do the shopping, I know they hate being dragged around a supermarket but they are a great help when I can't bend down to pick something up.

Sarah x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Have to come clean and admit I now do online shopping as I'm not allowed to carry anything heavy.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good for you SW...I was going to put in a cricket saying but mi brains gone :? good job the man didn't try to give you a leg up.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Doesn't work so well with glass jars....I had a grumble recently about serried ranks of pickles stacked 3 high on the top shelf - not only were they too high to reach but being all so close together the chances of dislodging adjacent jars were high. I pointed out to the lad I eventually found on the shop floor that it wouldn't just be smaller folk like me who would have difficulty, and that the consequences of misjudging would not be pleasant. He tried for himself and agreed that it wasn't ideal even with his extra height, and said he would pass on my comment. Ironically the one he reached down so that I could read the label had a lid that had come unsealed and was oozing vinegar, so nice and slippery...
    Weeks later they are still stacked 3 high and an accident waiting to happen - except that I suspect that a lot of shoppers just don't risk it, and so they don't sell.
  • stickywicket
    daffy2 wrote:
    Weeks later they are still stacked 3 high and an accident waiting to happen - except that I suspect that a lot of shoppers just don't risk it, and so they don't sell.

And, the supermarket would argue, that's why they're on the top shelf :roll: I know the 'eye level' ones are the ones they most want us to buy.

Alas, I can't do the crutch / stick thing. My hands can't hold them and, because my feet stick out sideways, I only trip myself up with them if I try.
    Steven Wright