Feeling yuk! Meds are a two edged sword.

Options
dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 18. Jun 2014, 03:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having taken early retirement 18 months ago and finally settling onto injecting methotrexate I was feeling quite pleased.....no chest infection in all that time and joints doing largely quite well. :D Then I got a cold and now I have a full blown chest infection-it feels like breathing through mud :( .

My son (a paediatrician) dropped in last night and said "your chest sounds rubbish, you need some antibiotics and steroids-and get your inhaler out with it's spacer"- I felt about 5, reflected that all that education hadn't been wasted and did as I was told :oops: . So today I went to the GP who listened and said" your chest sounds yukky!", so here I sit, no RA meds for 2 weeks, 2 weeks of antibiotics with the prospect of all the tummy upsets they cause, and a week of steroids to calm the asthma down, and they keep me awake pretty much 24 hours a day, but at least they'll keep the joints under control I suppose-the 2 edged sword! :( .

Sorry to moan, but I'm sitting inside looking out at the sun and feeling sorry for myself, and it helps to put it into words.

Hope you're all having an okay kind of day.

Deb xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's part-and-parcel of the great arthritis malarkey. I went through something similar recently but it was only the asthma and a week or so sorted things out. I for one am pleased that you have a decent amount of antibiotics because whatever this is will have had the chance to get well-established before you began producing symptoms. Believe me, it's a real pain having to return to the docs for more so at least you shouldn't have to do that. Please let your rheumatology unit know that you are off the meth for the next two weeks and why, they should know about this.

I am sorry, these things do occur and always at inappropriate times. Indulge yourself with a good sulk, it can help and you deserve it. You never know, you may get away with no trouble from the antibios - I hope so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Oh Deb, you have my sympathy. Thanks to a kind thread by DD my own recent struggles with...well...something or other are well-documented on here.

After about 14 years of meth I am getting slightly better at dealing with these things but my inner optimist usually assures me they'll go away quickly and unaided. Yeah, right :roll:

One thing I have got quite good at is upping my steroid inhaler and starting the non-steroid one when things start to go amiss. Alas, that didn't save me last time and, like you, it was the antibios in the end.

As for tummy upsets – antibios used to make me throw up after about 4-5 days but, once that became obvious, my GPs used to prescribe different ones. Nowadays, thanks, I presume, to omeprazole, I can take any without problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling so rubbish at the moment , you moan all you want Deb you never do, it does help to get things off your chest. I hope things look up for you soon and you start to feel a bit better................take care..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    It sounds like an ordeal, Deb. I've so far avoided that type of unpleasantness.

Really hoping you have a quick return to feeling better :)

xxAnna
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    You're not moaning, please don't apologise! I think all of us autoimmuners can relate. It's grim when you're ill and off meds but I hope the pred gives you some relief when you recover. Rest up and take it easy xx
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thank you for your kind responses. Had a fairly rubbish night, so trying to be patient until the meds click in. Happily hubby is around today so we plan a short stroll in the sun - he's good at moderating my over ambitions when I think I can just keep going :oops: , and almost certainly a nap in the car as he drives!

Have decided to try counting my blessings as a counter action to feeling groggy-so here's a list 1, Just taken 8 different meds to start the day all aimed at improving my health and well being, courtesy of our amazing NHS which for all it's faults is literally my life line; 2, the sun is shining and I can get out and about a bit; 3, I have an amazing supportive family who cope with my rubbish health and encourage me unfailingly; 4, the internet and sites like this provide others who understand our various ailments that impinge so much on our lives and reduce that sense of isolation........ I could go on, but writing them down is salutary.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I do hope the sun, the walk and the husband help :) Do you have a wheelchair, Deb? We go for wheelchair walks where I walk some and ride some. It's fun and you can find some lovely places. Canal paths and disused railway lines are usually good.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope the meds have kicked in and you are feeling a bit better, you are lucky to have the sun it has been raining off and on all day here. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Vickio
    Vickio Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a newbie here Deb but just wanted to give you a virtual hug and say, just be kind to yourself for a couple of days and see if that makes you feel better. I tend to try and do little silly things to cheer myself up, like buy a trashy magazine, download some new music or watch something funny on the net or on DVD. Oh, and eat chocolate ;)

Hope the sun helped today.

Vicki x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    How are you feeling now, Deb? x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I second Starburst - I hope things have improved for you. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello from me too, Deb. I hope all is as well as possible.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for your kind thoughts again. I've been pretty much just keeping my self to myself for a few days, lack of breath makes that easier :? , but I guess DD you know what I mean.

I'm happy to say that today I'm feeling more like myself, so I'd put the laptop on to share my happier self, and was really touched to find your greetings. Sorry I haven't been around for a few days but it's been a bit grim.

Today in the sunshine the OH took me for a run out in the car to my favourite water fall which has really raised my spirits. Tomorrow we have pre booked tickets for a trip by train to London (part of hubbies birthday present) so I'm loathe to cancel it.......we've decided to use taxis to get round there and maybe enjoy a leisurely trip down the river and picnic in Greenwich Park if the weather is kind, but I'm hoping it doesn't take too much out of me....the inhaler's packed and I'll get steroids on-board before I go. On the bonus side my joints feel great!!!!!!!!! Every cloud has a silver lining.

Thank you again for the support and kindness. Hope that you're all having a reasonable day.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Deb, you know it's OK to share all of you on here, not just the happy side. You are there for others: we are there for you. End of.

I do hope you manage to enjoy your trip. It sounds a little daunting in your current situation but you know your body better than we do.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck with the trip, rest whenever you can and don't overdo things - I am sure the day will go well and you will have a lovely time. DD