Vitamin D deficiency. How significant to OA?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 14. Jun 2014, 12:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw the gastroenterologist last week and he took lots of bloods. I'm seeing him because of IBS and Laryngopharyngeal reflux, but have had a letter and a prescription from him this morning telling me I've got Vitamin D deficiency and have got to take some tablets for a fortnight. I just wondered if this deficiency would be significant in respect of my OA joint pain and bursitis. How common is it at my age? I'm 68 (just!). :D

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Vit. D is good for bones and a suitable level of it can help to stave off osteoporosis. I now take a daily supplement on the advice of my rheumatologist because my levels were too low, probably because I don't sit out in the sun due to the risk of meth rash, (although I am doing so now, on instruction, just for ten minutes per day without sunscreen). Vit. D deficiency is on the increase due to the over-use of sunscreen, our bodies are not making it as they should.

I suspect it's the risk of osteoporosis which he is guarding against, but I don't know. I don't know either what it will do for my OA or PsA but I am hoping that it may give me a little more energy in due course. I know that my overall bone density has increased by 3.4% since stopping the oral steroids but my right hip is showing signs of osteopenia, I hope the Vit.D will help remedy that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Thank you, DD and Sticky. The letter came as a real surprise this morning. However, to my knowledge, I have never had my Vitamin D level checked before. I'm now hoping that the tablets may help with my OA overall. We'll see!

Interesting article, Sticky, thank you, especially as I have significant problems with OA in my knees.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I had very low a VitD levels picked up through dealing with an osteoporosis diagnosis, and did find that within a few days of starting the supplements the muscle pain which I had assumed was just another unwelcome OA thing had improved dramatically. Apparently muscle pain can be one of the symptoms of inadequate VitD levels - perhaps something to do with its relationship with calcium absorption?
    If you are just having fortnight's worth are they the extra high dosage pills to get your levels up off the floor prior to sorting out a maintenance dose?
    In answer to your last question it is increasingly recognised that VitD deficiency is now common, probably due to a combination of dietary and lifestyle factor changes over recent decades. My DIL, working in a major London paediatric dept, said she was getting to the point of routinely testing patients as the prevalence was so high, with its accompanying rise in rickets.
  • Megrose489
    Thanks, Daffy. The prescription says 'Colecalciferol 10,000 unit (250mcg) caps' for 14 days. So, I presume that is a high dose. I've not been able to get them from the village chemist yet, as they didn't have them in stock. I've got to see the gastro again after I've had an endoscopy, so will discuss maintenance at that point. It's good that you felt so much better after starting on them, I hope I feel the same. I remember last year I asked the practice nurse about the possibility of fibromyalgia as my muscles were painful, but she didn't seem very interested. Like you, I assumed it was all part of the OA. Maybe it will improve the bursitis as well. I'm amazed that there is a rise in rickets. I do remember, as a child in Glasgow, seeing children who had been affected by rickets, but I thought it was a disease of the past.
  • stickywicket
    My calcium-plus-Vit D-for-life tablets (I have osteoporosis) contain 1,250 mg calcium carbonate (equivalent to 500mg elemental calcium) and 10 mcg coleocalciferol (400 IU Vit D)

According to the NHS website:
    people aged 65 years and over and people not exposed to much sun should also take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms (0.01mg) of vitamin D

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-minerals/pages/vitamin-d.aspx

However, it's also important not to overdose on it :)
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    That sounds like a 'loading dose' prescription, so your levels must have been pretty low, and your gastro is following the guidelines for dealing with it. With any luck you will be able to get the necessary follow-up to deal with it in the long term as it's being dealt with by a consultant. GPs are sadly less than helpful in this situation in many(most?) cases. I had to argue to have the blood test that picked up my deficiency, and it was only thanks to an astonishing bit of ineptitude by the admin staff at the surgery that I was able to have a follow-up test, as the tests are 'expensive'.(not as expensive as OP fractures though...)The National Osteoporosis Society forums have a lot about this subject and how to get tests done if the GP won't help.I don't have a prescription as I didn't want the calcium, and in any case I could get several months supply OTC for the same cost as one month's prescription charge.The dose has been agreed with the GP - higher in the 6 months when sunlight isn't any use.
  • stickywicket
    In defence of GPs, mine contacted me to suggest I should have a DXA scan and initiated the meds.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    That's really interesting, Ken, thank you. Just taken my first tablet today, so onwards and upwards, hopefully!

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have read that high-dose Vit.D can cause constipation so it may be worth taking precautions against that, just in case. A lower maintenance dose shouldn't - well, it hasn't with me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Barbieg
    Barbieg Member Posts: 40
    I have read that Vit D is good for Oral Lichen Planus which I have just been diagnosed with . Another auto immune disease , wondering how it would work as it advices high doses. Barbara
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Meg
    Vit D helps your body absorb calcium from food you eat, so it is very important, my niece is 30 and she has to take vitD with calcium , so its good that they are picking up on it..hope it helps x
    Love
    Barbara