Meth and the Sun

Options
tenbury
tenbury Member Posts: 52
edited 15. Jun 2014, 07:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have recently been told that you should stay out of the sun when injecting meth, anyone else know about this.

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes definately and if you must well factor 50 and a big sunhat protect those shoulders Tenbury 2 years ago I was very poorly with a rash from head to toe Marrianne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yup, methotrexate can make our skin more photosensitive so to be on the safe side we should cover up, use Factor 30 (anything higher is a waste of money) and stay in the shade. I have had meth rash and it isn't pleasant. :( Summer for me means closed shoes, long skirts, long sleeves, a scarf and a hat. Life is stupidly hot. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tenbury
    Options
    Thanks for the advice DD @ Marrianne, I don't believe we don't get all this info from the hospital in the first place. :o
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,
    I personally didn't have a problem on mtx but I am having big problems on my biologic. My dermatologist specifically said Sensense 50 Total Block for UVA + UVB luckily that's the one I'm already prescribed by my GP. I've also been given a topical steroid to use wen needed!!

I hope that may help.

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • tenbury
    Options
    Thank you Debbie, now i remember getting sunsense on repeat prescription yrs ago, don't know why they stopped it , i will mention it when I go to docs next week !!!
  • DebbieT
    Options
    No probs :)

It was probably because the size & types come & go off of prescription. They often change the list that's available to us so it's always worth popping back to the GP to get the next available one wen ures disappears from ure repeat :wink:

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Use Factor 30 (anything higher is a waste of money)

I never knew this. :o

As Debbie said, the best type of suncream has UV A and UV B protection.
  • DebbieT
    Options
    I admit I'd heard the same as DD about above factor 30+ being pretty worthless too ... But wen ure Dermatology Consultant who is also Head of Dept tells you to get a particular type & brand as she thinks ure photosensitive you listen :wink::lol:
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x