newbie with oa

sandrajane
sandrajane Member Posts: 3
edited 16. Jun 2014, 04:11 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone. I'm 49 and had my first left hip replacement 5 years ago. Just had to have the same hip done again in march, but it's still not right, got to see my consultant again next week. Now been told I've got severe oa in my feet. Ive been struggling with pain in them the last 4 years, and looking very deformed now, struggling to get shoes that are comfy, and just waiting to have my first cortisone injection in my right foot. Has anyone else had these injections and do they work, thanks in advance

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello sandrajane and welcome to the forum though, as we say round here, sorry you had to find us. It seems you've been unlucky with your hip replacement. I've had both mine replaced and knees (I've had RA for a long, long time) and no problems. I hope your consultant can do something for you next week.

I've had cortisone injections in knees and shoulders but not feet. They worked well for me but I know from my time on here that that's not always the case. Some people, like me, find they help for some time: others get little or no relief. I hope you'll fall into the former category.

As for feet and shoes – I've had to wear surgical shoes for about 45 years so I can't help but it's a topic that comes up regularly on the Living With Arthritis forum. I know many people swear by Crocs. Have you seen an orthotist and had some customised insoles? They should help. If you haven't ask either your GP or consultant to refer you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sandrajane
    sandrajane Member Posts: 3
    Hi sticky wicket. Sorry to hear you've had both hips and kness done. Touch wood my right hips ok at the mo. Wish it was my kness playing instead of my feey, they can't replace feet yet. My gp doesn't seem to know what to do about them yet, he's not even refered me to an orthopod yet. As for shoes. We have a shuopody shop in town, so think I'll try there for some advice. My feet are getting so deformed and painful.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have two kinds of arthritis, I began with an auto-immune kind, psoariatic arthritis (PsA) when I was 37 and the joint damage that caused has led to OA in my feet, ankles, knees, hips and elsewhere. It's not fun. :(

I was refused new knees because I was too young aged 52 (I'm now 55) so in the intervening years my ankles and hips have succumbed. When one joint is out of kilter it affects the way we move thus putting extra pressure on other joints, throwing them out of line. I am reliant on walking aids but not around the house unless I'm having a bad time (which I currently am but no matter). For shoes I buy Crocs, Hotter and have just discovered Sketchers plus gel insoles - they are very good for cushioning. I also have orthotic insoles.

I am so sorry that your hip didn't work out too well, I hope that matters improve somehow and soon. I have had steroid injections but found them useless - others find benefit so you won't know until you try. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hey, I'm not sorry at all that I had them done. The replacements are much better than the originals :D

They can do things with feet – mainly fusions, I think – but the foot is an incredibly complex piece of machinery and whatever is done to one small joint seems to have a knock-on effect on others. Mine have mostly fused themselves. 'Shuopody' sounds a possibility for you but I'd personally have more faith in an NHS orthotist who has no axe to grind and no shoes to sell. Vested interests don't always coincide with our own best interests – or is that just me being cynical :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright