Strike a chord ladies?

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 17. Jun 2014, 05:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm reading one of Alexander McCall Smith's Scotland Street novels and came across the following, and immediately thought of Mig et al...

'And what could be more satisfying for the female spectators then to see thirty muscular men running backwards and forwards and occasionally bending over, head to head, and pushing one another backwards and forwards in the mud?'

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Indeed it does. :wink: This afternoon I shall be trying very hard not to lick the telly as I watch Gregor Dimitrov and Feliciano Lopez battle it out at Queen's. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Now that would make a good theme for a visualisation/meditation exercise! Would keep my attention better than all those rivers and lakes etc. Not sure how relaxing it would be though. :lol:
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Daffy, would you please refrain from putting up this sort of quote. The sight of a 68 yr old woman drooling, wide-eyed onto her computer is not an edifying one :wink: Which novel, please :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What a final! I know the best man won but am now off to find the proper spray for the telly screen: if ever you see me posting about the fact I haven't knelt since 1997 send me a PM. :wink: Mr DD is in the bath and has no idea about the destruction I wrought on his beloved TV. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Well all I can say is thank heavens this isn't a video forum!
    Sticky, I'm currently reading 'Sunshine on Scotland Street' This series, and the Corduroy Mansions one, have been a recent and very happy discovery. The chapters are short and selfcontained(presumably because they were originally a newspaper serial)so ideal for picking up and putting down, and often raise a smile. I haven't read any of his detective books.
    Slosh, it might not be relaxing but would probably count as ace distraction - and if it achieves the same end who cares?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Thank you, daffy. The computer keyboard has now dried off. I've read one or two of his No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books but wasn't overwhelmed. This sounds much more up my street.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    daffy you are giving an old lady naughty thoughts here... :oops: :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • doofer
    doofer Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Well....I nearly cried laughing at this, there's DD licking the telly, SW dribbling on the keyboard in anticipation, Slosh getting all beside herself during meditation and Daffy reading about grown men playing about in mud, just be careful ladies you know how busy the emergency services are

:lol:

doofer (was numps)
    Doofer was Numptynora x