Please help.....working.....ESA....???

gemmarh100
gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I have been on here. I am at the end on my tether and sooooooo confused. I just want to give up!!! :(

I stopped my last job as a bank staff nursery assistant due to tiredness, fatigue and pain of RA. I then went on to job seekers, as I wanted to get a part-time job. They created a big fuss, saying I had to apply for full-time positions. I thought I had to give it a try as I would lose my flat if I couldn't pay the rent......so I started full-time work.

Now I feel as though I'm back where I started when diagnosed with RA, so tired all the time, going to work for 40hrs a week is just too much, taking it's toll on me and I feel I'm starting to get depressed.

I want to apply for ESA, but all I keep hearing about on here and other places is how hard it is to be believed and to actually get any help. I want to work, I can cope part-time, but there seems to be no help for people like me.....

Any support/suggestions/friendly smiles will be gratefully appreciated as I'm losing all hope :(

Gemma XX

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Gemma, this seems a very difficult situation and very unfair. I can only suggest you contact CAB, DIAL UK or a similar organisation. Indeed, our own helpline people will probably be able to point you in the right direction for help. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Gemma;

It really doesn't seem fair when you want to work and have a chronic illness that you can't receive some help/consideration to do so part-time.

Sorry, I don't know how your system works in the UK, I'm in Canada. I would enlist an advocate and ask your GP for help/advice too.

Take care Gemma, be good to yourself.

xxAnna
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hi Gemma, very unfair and not very good from the from the job centre to be honest. Were they fully aware of your arthritis? As I had a disability adviser, she was useless but hey.

I was on job seekers and said I could only do part time. They put me down for reduced hours and I said what I could and couldn't do. To be honest although my adviser was annoying he was quite understanding.

I work in a job centre myself, so if you want any advice give me a message.

CAB sounds like a good idea, possibly you could get a sick note/ then apply for esa.For me, working is better than esa as my job is sit down and good hours. But as your job is physical, I completely understand the dilemma and you must be very sore.
    It is tough and I hope you work something out. Long term I am wondering if a change of career might be good. Could do nursery nursing part time in future or more if joints get more controlled.

x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?