Struggling with work due to delay in treatment

Lau12
Lau12 Member Posts: 2
Hi I'm new here, just looking for a bit of advice really. I've had rheumatoid arthritis since I was a few months old. I'm now 31. Over the years I've tried numerous different treatments, the most successful being infliximab until a few years ago until it stopped being as effective. I'm currently taking Humira injections but they don't seem to work at all for me. I moved areas and changed my rheumatologist in September last year. I've been waiting since January to change onto another treatment (waiting for funding to be approved). Basically I've always managed to work part time in the past albeit a struggle at times, but with moving I took a full time job and I've really struggled, feeling exhausted, in pain all the time and not sleeping etc. I've asked to reduce my hours at work which they have said they will try their best to accommodate. In the meantime I've been taking holiday and today I rang in sick. Not sure what to do really. I'm pinning my hopes on eventually starting new treatment and it being helpful but in the meantime I don't know what to do for the best with work. Starting to wonder if I should just put my notice in but I don't know how I'd manage financially or what if any help I could get? Also is it usual to wait so long for change in drug treatment? Any advice greatly appreciated! Xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't help as I've been so long away from the work scene but my congratulations to you for coping so well and working so long with your arthritis. I think your best bet might be to ring our Helpline people. They are very knowledgeable about where you can get help and also very good listeners. Sometimes, just talking things over with a sympathetic ear enables us to see the road ahead more clearly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hello, I would say get advice before you do anything like quit the job.
    All the best.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?