Office equipment suggestions please

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
I have an Occupational health review on Friday which I have requested in part to look at any equipment/modifications that I might find helpful.
Although I work in a school as an Inclusion Manager much of my work is desk based and involves using a computer. I have OA in my neck which as well as being painful in itself is also putting pressure on my spinal nerve and spinal cord and I have been told to keep my neck in a neutral position as much as possible. I have a suitable chair, writing slope, book stand and a copy holder at present. However I find using the computer and typing can get very painful for my arms and sometimes, on a bad day the coordination of my left hand is also affected. I also tend to loose my voice, get a sore throat if I talk a lot.
As in my absence I have moved offices I need to choose a new desk.
Any ideas?
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have similar health concerns and tried a new "standing" desk. It is actually adjustable so you can sit or stand or both. I find sitting (and probably slouching) really irritates my neck and arm symptoms. For some reason, I don't have them with standing. I'm assuming my posture is good whilst standing. I love it and it really keeps my neck in neutral and thus happy. I've heard you can attach it to a treadmill for extra exercise also. :lol: Joking aside, this is important, you spend 8 hours a day doing your job. Try it out if you can. Good Luck.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you for that. I had been wondering about a height adjustable desk though unfortunately as I have muscle weakness in my left leg and use a stick it would not be for standing. It would mean though thst when sitting I could raise it to a height that means I don't have to look down when reading etc.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Have they offered you a work place assessment by an OT or physio?
    Ive been waiting for this myself for a while, I thought that kind of thing was what OTs were for? xx
  • Slosh
    Options
    I'm not under an OT, however I had an Occupational health review yesterday and they have reccomended I contact Access to Work to request a workplace assessment so that's on my to do list for Monday.
    Julian of Norwich