Suffering from headaches

Options
Lubs
Lubs Member Posts: 155
:shock:
Hi,
I'm currently suffering from headaches which are happening constantly throughout the day. Very rarely do I have a moment in the day when my head isn't hurting. The GP increased my pregabalin medicine to 300mg from 150mg and I know I have to give it time to settle down. I just can't justify of taking any other pain killers when I'm taking 90mg of morphine.

I will be grateful for any advice.
Lubs

Comments

• Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Just explained to my husband that I can't sit up with the headaches. I can only cope with them laying down. Sitting up makes the pain worse. The response was to lay down, stay in bed!

I find it difficult to hold my ipad and reading book while in this position. But the pressure decreases greatly on the lower part of my head, just above my neck.

So tomorrow I'm staying in bed!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    Options
    Dear Lubs,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I'm sorry to hear that you are living with this difficult neck/head pain. I wonder whether that's associated with osteoarthritis (oa) or another kind of arthritis?

Generally when it comes to managing a flare up of arthritis it can be difficult to know what's going to help in the longer term. Resting for long periods can be less successful as the arthritis may retaliate with more stiffness. If your supporting muscles weaken, then pain can be tricky.

I wonder whether other forum members on our living with arthritis forum might be able to share suggestions and offer you some support? It might be worth dropping a line there also.

Managing a flare up might be a subject to mention to your GP, and maybe a referral to physiotherapy might be a good idea.

A balance between rest and short periods of gentle movement is often suggested. Our booklet Coping with pain says more about breaking pain cycles.

Here's a link to our booklets : http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

and self management here: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement

Do ring us if you'd like a chat, for some support.

kind regards

Guy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When I'm stuck in bed I lie as flat as I can to help my joints then prop my Kindle or KindleFire on a pillow on my tummy; that makes life easier. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben