Palates

Options
easyed
easyed Member Posts: 11
edited 25. Jun 2014, 01:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was as wondering has anyone tried Palates as I was recommended it by my Rheumatology Consultant for problems with Sciatica. The trouble is he put it on my notes so every time I see the nurse she says "how's the palates going ?". so I thought I had better give it a go. I found the first session very tough as I have a problem laying down flat due to stiffness in my back and neck I am hoping these exercises will help with this. I would be grateful if anyone has tried it and found it helpful.
Kind regards to all.
Easyed.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have done pilates in the past but it was before I developed OA. I am considering trying again but will discuss it with my physio first. Like you I find lying down on my back painful and I also have some muscle weakness in my left arm and leg so I'm not quite sure how manageable it would be. When I did it before I did enjoy it though, especially the relaxation session we finished with.
    Hope you find it beneficial and I assume you have explained your difficulties to tne teacher as this is important and they will probably adapt some of the exercises for you
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I haven't tried Pilates because I cannot stand for longer than two minutes, can't lie down on the floor (and can't get up) but it may help matters for you if you have the physical capabilities to do it. Keep attending the class but avoid the movements that stress your joints too much - could the instructor design a tailor-made programme for you? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I've not done pilates but couldn't manage without my daily exercises. If you enter it into the Arthritis Care search engine there's an article about it on the top left of the page. It is recommended and I believe it can be done seated if necessary. Please ensure your teacher is aware of your physical problems. Good luck and do let's know how you get on with it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    I can't do without my modified Pilates moves. I really do feel it keeps me moving. As the others wrote, make sure the instructor knows about your aches and pains. Enjoy.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Easyed
    There is no better exercises than Pilates done properly, sadly I cant get down on the floor..but I do the stretching ..you give it a go ...I really hope it helps..
    Love
    Barbara
  • easyed
    easyed Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Second session of Palates was a little easier I told the instructor of my problems and he kept an eye on me and was very helpful. He said that Palates is a slow process and takes time to feel any benefits as it tries to correct bad habits, posture etc.
    I cannot go next week as I have a hospital appointment. But I will give it a go I can even join the gym so who knows !
    Regards
    Esayed
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Sounds positive. Hope you start to feel the benefits soon
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Well done, easyed. I hope you'll reap the benefits. Please keep us informed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright