Hi there!

Options
INCONTROL
INCONTROL Member Posts: 2
edited 26. Jun 2014, 10:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone, stumbled across this by chance on the web. I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my hands around 10 weeks ago. Anti-inflammatory and painkillers are no longer working, even after such a short time. Starting to feel depressed about the whole thing, I'm only 40, have 2 young children, and a wife that is worried to death.

Hope to pick up some advice or encouragement on here

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello INCONTROL and welcome aboard :) though I'm sorry about the diagnosis.

Anti-inflamms and pain relief won't cut the mustard with RA. You need a Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug (DMARD) such as methotrexate or sulphasalazine. Have you seen a rheumatologist yet or are you just waiting? They are the ones who can prescribe them not GPs.

Try not to get too far ahead of yourself. Some people manage very well for a long time on DMARDS. It must be worrying when you have small children to support. I wasn't working when mine were little but I had had RA for 10 years by then. Adapt and survive :D And don't google except for reputable sites like this, ARUK and NHS Choices. There's a lot of misinformation out there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi INCONTROL

I just want to welcome you to the forum, as it is OA I have and some other dross going on I can't really advise, support yes. I see stickywicket has already given you some sound advice. If you want to ask questions about your RA post on living with arthritis, general topics and laughs are posted on chit-chat, very nice to meet you hope to see you around...........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    Welcome Incontrol,

Sorry you had to find us here. On the upside you have come to the right place to get sound advice from those who actually live their day to day lives with A.

Have a look around and perhaps get your wife to do so too. Encourage her to learn more about the condition. It will help her better understand what Arthritis is and help ease her worries. The two of you will figure out new ways of coping and become accommodating for A. As with everything in life, it takes time.

In the meantime, stay strong and positive! Hope to see you around.

Lisa