I have a diagnosis!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 2. Jul 2014, 08:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Many of you will know that I have been suffering from stomach pain and vomiting since August last year. Now, I finally have a diagnosis and a plan. I am really quite relieved, as the suggestion that I should "learn to live with it" was not cutting it. That said, I have a chronic condition that I will have to learn to manage but at least it has a name.

I have functional gastroparesis. In English - the muscles and main nerve in my stomach aren't working properly and this stops food moving from the stomach to the small intestine. Essentially, my stomach is partially paralysed. There is a medication I can try and I've been advised on diet. It may still be trial and error though.

Adapting my lifestyle and eating habits has been challenging and I think it will continue to be difficult as I accept my limitations.

As goes my favourite saying; onwards and upwards.....!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm glad you have a diagnosis. As you say, it's certainly not all good news but at least you will now be able, hopefully, to take steps to alleviate matters a little and that has to be good. That plus getting away from the constant worrying about what could be causing it.

You have more than your fair share of health problems but you are a constant source of inspiration in how lightly you carry them and how much you achieve despite them. I have every confidence that you will cope with this further setback.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm so pleased you have a diagnosis at last and you can start dealing with what you need to manage it, I know from experience dealing with anything gastro is not easy and it takes time. So now it's the learning what is good for you and what is not. At least you have a name to your illness now and no more prodding & poking!!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    So pleased you have a diagnosis at last,hope things go well sorting diet out.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good. Now we know what's what and will do our best to encourage and support you in dealing with this and get on with life. Do they know why this has happened or is it just one of those things? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Thank you, all.

DD, the gastro doc said a viral infection of the stomach is thought to trigger it. I can't directly recall anything but being on all these meds, I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up a bug or some sort around the time of it starting. There can be an autoimmune component apparently. :? I'll mention it next time I see my rheum.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope the meds help and with that and a modified diet things start to improve for you soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    At least now you know what has been causing it Sophie, I have been struggling with nausea for two years and I know how bad you have been feeling. I hope the meds and the diet helps, you have such a positive attitude and we are always here to help you on your way..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 780
    So pleased that you've finally got a diagnosis and treatment. I hope that things will continue to improve from now on. Take care.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Aren't we thankful for small mercy's :roll: but a least you now know what it is and hopefully the meds will work on it,let us know how you get on..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    It makes such a difference doesn't it when you know what you are dealing with? I am pleased that you now know what's what and wish you every sucess in getting this condition under control.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I hope the modified diet can involve some chocolate?! Kept going optimism queen xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh blast, who'd be a human being? :roll: It seems that those who are already struggling with far too much are somehow automatically targeted for some more health rubbish. I am cross that this has happened to you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,407
    Glad to hear you have a diagnosis, not of something you want of course, but a diagnosis of something is almost always better than a mystery nasty, in auto-immune land. Will this influence what meds you can take across the board? Hope the possible one for this will help, at any rate.