New joints for old - get them while you can

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
edited 3. Jul 2014, 15:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know many on here have been denied hip and knee operations on the grounds that they're 'too young'. Well, it seems you can also be too old so I guess the moral of the story is get 'em while / if you can.

'New data reveal for the first time that across large areas of the country, almost no patients above the age of 75 are receiving surgery for breast cancer or routine operations such as gall bladder removal and knee replacements. '
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10942295/NHS-defies-the-law-to-deny-pensioners-vital-operations-warns-Royal-College-of-Surgeons.html

We are the 6th richest country in the world and yet our NHS is falling apart at the seams and is, itself, in need of a great deal of intensive care.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What is also very frightening is that in a survey of health care systems across the world that was published a couple of weeks ago the NHS came out on top. Makes you wonder what the others are like. Personally I would be happy to pay a bit extra in Nat Ins if it was ring fenced for NHS spending as Labour floated a while ago. I also think there has to be a long hard look at things such as breast enlargement, and IVF which are costly and while they are of value to those concerned are hardly in the same league as operations and treatments for conditions such as Arthritis and others which either have a significant effect on quality of life or are potentially life limiting. Not a popular view I know.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Its sad to see that you can either be too old or too young for certain things. There shouldn't be any age restrictions on new joints and every one should be delt with as a case by case basis.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    SW its so sad and annoying to see the money wasted in this country, I have been to my GP this morning and one patient was there because he had waited 12 weeks for results and was worried that this will take him beyond the age for his knee..disgusting.. :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    It's just awful.

I've noticed that for joint replacements, there is a very specific window of opportunity. About a year and a half ago, I was told that my jaw joints need replacing but that it is recommended that I wait as long as possible because I am too young (26). The consultant 'joked' that I'll end up with new knees and hips before they agree to my jaw. Not sure how old but not too old I have to be to not suffer from debilitating jaw pain. :roll:
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    The NHS is a mess but it is free at the point of care to all which is kinder than something like the USA. I can't imagine how I would cope over there - imagine if you had to be able to fund your treatment?! Age discrimination is not acceptable though, I know many people over 60 who are healthier and fitter than those in their 30s and not due to chronic health problems like arthritis but often due to lifestyle choices and the sad belief that the NHS will be there to solve their problems - that there will always be a magic pill to mend all ills. The nhs has been stretched too many ways and too many things are covered by healthcare.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    I agree that, wonderful though the NHS is, it has been - and is - abused. The US system scares me, particularly as I have a son over there, but Americans believe strongly in self-reliance and responsibility. I think we have lost that. I well recall, travelling to appointments by hospital transport before Mr SW retired and could take me, the number of people who simply weren't in - or up - when the ambulance called for them. I was told by one driver of a couple who had used the transport to get to the appointment then gone shopping :shock: Where's the honesty, the integrity and self-respect in that?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright