re new splint

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 9. Jul 2014, 10:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Some of you will remember that i got a new splint for my right hand 6-7 weeks ago,well I've stuck with it and i think i have given it a good try out but I'm not having much success with it ,when my hand puffs up and it does towards the end of the day which is the time when i was recommended to wear it i can barely get it round my hand and putting the strips between my fingers makes the whole thing uncomfortable so this morning i phoned the ot dept spoke to a nice young man who took my details and said he would speak to them and get them to call me back ,when i first saw the ot people they hadn't had my referral letter from my rheumatologist,so maybe when they read the letter i might get something more suitable.Mig

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hope you get something that suits you better sooner rather than later.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    How quick is this just had a call from the nice young man who has arranged an appointment for me next wednesday morning. Cool.
    Thanks for your reply Slosh will be asking for pocket duties. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Mig, make sure you tell them exactly what you've told us. They probably measured you for the splint at a time of day when there wasn't much swelling and either assumed it would stay that way or just underestimated the amount of swelling involved. It might help if you could take some 'daytime' and 'evening' measurements yourself to help them. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I'll do a deal with yoo on pocket duties. I'll be in yours for that in the morning if you'll be in mine for my Access to work assessment in the afternoon!
    Just a thought but if you have a smart phone it might be an idea to take some photos of your hand in the evening when it is swollen so they can see the problem more clearly.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Good luck Mig, I hope you get a more suitable splint.
    I'll hop in your pocket, and I'll bring some Pinot Grigio ( for medicinal purposes)
    Numpty
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Good luck with it Mig and like SW says make sure you tell them how and were it hurts I have had 3 pairs and now quite comfy...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I agree with the others: take some pictures and measurements (not to be neurotic, just to prove what you've told them) and I hope they can find a more suitable solution. We can't help but use our hands which doesn't help matters but hats off to you for persevering - it's the only way to find out what works and doesn't. DD

PS I won't be in your pocket because Wednesday is our seventeenth wedding anniversary; I don't think Mr DD would be too happy if I nipped off to sit in your pocket. :oops:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Count me in mig being in the morning as I have an appointment in the afternoon. I will apologise in advance as Numpty is bringing the PG and her and I together is errr maybe not the best combination(she leads me astray :oops: ) but I am sure the others will gag us at the crucial moment, see you Wednesday good luck................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    Been measuring,nearly 1/4 inch difference between morning and night,I have thumb and index finger that are straight but the other three have drifted right off to the right and I have to pull them in to get them straight can't do it by thought alone ( hope that makes sense ).they have also started to curl in towards the palm.

DD you could always bring Mr DD with you but I couldn't speak for his sanity afterwards.Hope you both have a lovely day. Mig
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Awww Mig, you trooper trying it for that long before calling the OT for help. Testimont to you and I really hope they act super quick to sort you with something that works xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Now there's a thought! No Mig, I can't see that happening, I am sorry. :oops: DD

Edited on request
    Mod B
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    Well got a splint the same as the last one But a bigger size ,it fits a lot better and I can adjust it if my hand swells.She has made appointment for me to go back in four weeks so she can see if I'm getting on alright with it and also to mack a night time splint .So not a bad appointment . Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    :D:D Excellent news, mig. That sounds really good. I'm sure it'll work.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    That sounds like a good result, glad they're going to be checking up on how you are getting on with it in a few weeks as well.
    Julian of Norwich