RA, you've gotta love it!

Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 6. Jul 2014, 18:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
That's what the consultant at the foot clinic said to me today!
I was there to see about sorting out my hammer toes. They are preventing me from wearing shoes other than slippers and a pair of moccasins, which are just like slippers really.
Anyhow, after x-raying my feet he said there's no point in fixing my toes until my feet are sorted, and there's no point in fixing my feet if my ankles and knees are causing the problems! So, he's referring me to be measured for orthopaedic shoes to see if they help. I'm booked for a MRI scan in August, to see what's going on with my ankles and knees, then to see him again at the end of August, to discuss the best course to take.
He thinks it's likely I'll need my toes straightened, and my feet fused in three places, but wants to see if the shoes make any difference first.
So fingers crossed for a small miracle from the shoes!
Arthritis, the gift that keeps on taking :(
Numpty

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's what the consultant at the foot clinic said to me today!
    I was there to see about sorting out my hammer toes. They are preventing me from wearing shoes other than slippers and a pair of moccasins, which are just like slippers really.
    Anyhow, after x-raying my feet he said there's no point in fixing my toes until my feet are sorted, and there's no point in fixing my feet if my ankles and knees are causing the problems! So, he's referring me to be measured for orthopaedic shoes to see if they help. I'm booked for a MRI scan in August, to see what's going on with my ankles and knees, then to see him again at the end of August, to discuss the best course to take.
    He thinks it's likely I'll need my toes straightened, and my feet fused in three places, but wants to see if the shoes make any difference first.
    So fingers crossed for a small miracle from the shoes!
    Arthritis, the gift that keeps on taking :(
    Numpty

I hope the shoes can be of some help to you, but I suspect they are very unlikely to put things right. I hope you can get things sorter soon
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Numpty I do hope the shoes help,if not hopefully the ops will be done in one then it will be one recovery...not nice to face I know, so good luck with the shoes...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Numpty, I am so sorry to read this. We humans are complicated enough when healthy but then factor in RA etc. . . . it's not on. :x

I don't have any advice to offer because I have not experienced anything like this but, if pocket dwellers are needed or any other kind of support required, then count me in. Simples. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Thank you for the replies :D

As5567, I don't think the shoes will put things right either, but they might make walking a little easier, and prevent even more damage, or maybe I'm just clutching at straws :?

Barbara, the consultant said that after the fusions I'd be in plaster for about three months. Halfway through that time they would straighten my toes. So it would be two lots of surgery, but one recovery period.

DD, thank you, it's comforting to know that you're there for support, and I will probably be requesting pocket duties :wink:

I just hope the MRI doesn't show any more problems!
    Numpty
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Numpty , what part of your feet / ankles he thinks should be fused , dont put it off to long as you can develop other problems if you leave it
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I hope the MRI shows up nothing nasty too! Oh Numpty (((((((()))))))) - if it helps, walking around in pyjamas are fashionable in some parts of manchester (I've never done it) so surely slippers are simply the footwear choice for fashionistas. I really hope they can at least provide you with some comfort but whatever happens I will also be ready for any pocket duties xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Numptydumpty
    Hi Trepolpen, I don't know about my ankles until after the MRI, he said I needed three fusions in my foot, he indicated the top of my foot, but to be honest, I didn't take it all in. I felt a bit shell shocked, as I'd only gone there for hammer toes, and he was talking knee replacements and all sorts! The inner side of my feet go over quite badly, in fact the right foot, I'm close to walking on my ankle.
    I had a wrist fusion a couple of years ago, but feet are a different kettle of fish!
    Numpty
  • Numptydumpty
    Oh LV, thank you for taking the time to support me when you're going through so much rot yourself.
    Luckily I've always chosen comfort over chic when it comes to footwear, I have no qualms about wearing slippers, other than they don't give any support :lol:
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Well, I can see the consultant loving it seeing as how it provides him with a living but I don't quite see why you should.

Slippers and moccasins are not good for feet as they give no support so welcome to the surgical shoes gang. (Motto: Death to stilettos.) The trouble is, as the old song says, 'your knee bone's connected to your ankle bone' etc etc. In our case far too well connected and in all the wrong places.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Hi Sticky, it was said with irony, he seemed to be a very nice, understanding and caring bloke, not uneasy on the eye either :lol:
    When I told my daughter about my appointment, she treated me to a rendition of "Dem dry bones" :lol:
    I've never worn stilettos, in spite of my lack of height, just couldn't manage heels. I do like pretty shoes though, and I'll never be able to pull in surgical shoes :(
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Look on the bright side. If they're looking only at your shoes you'll never be able to pull any bloke worth having anyway :wink: Just keep them focused on your sparkling wit and repartee :lol:
    Good news about the rheumatologist. Solemnity is scary :)
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Aww Numpty trying to keep fingers crossed for the small miracle to happen..............you never know!!! good luck with the scan will be in your pocket(playing havoc :D ) anytime........................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Hi Numpty I only wear birkenstocks in summer ,and wellingtons in winter ,hope all goes well its a long time to be in plaster though ,guess you do look for alternatives .oh begger though it is the rotten gift that keeps on giving :cry::cry: xx
  • Numptydumpty
    Thanks Marie, looking forward to the havoc, if not the scan :lol:

Thank you for the thought Marrianne, yes Arthritis is very generous when handing out dross :roll:

A friend has suggested I buy some very long dresses and skirts to hide the shoes. I feel more inclined to spray them with glitter paint to pretty them up :lol:
    Numpty
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Glitter paint every time, speaking as someone who decorated her walking stick for Christmas and blinged up her surgical collar. Sorry to hear you have to go through all this, hope the shoes help and the MRI proves helpful.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Right. A tip from a (very) old hand. In far off times I was given a bewildering choice of colours but you have to bear in mine you're only allowed two pairs so I usually ended up with a black / navy pair and a brown / cream pair. Now I don't have any choice other than black. BUT, if given a choice, ask for the softest leather and beggur the colour. It'll probably be black anyway but you do get big differences in softness and therefore in comfort.

Then do what you will with them remembering that, although they used to have to last only two years, now they have to last as long as they're vaguely supporting your foot.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Slosh, I would have liked to have seen that surgical collar :lol:

Thanks Sticky, I'll bear that in mind. I'd definitely go for comfort every time.
    Numpty