Update

shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 5. Jul 2014, 03:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all I hope all of you are as well as can be.I have been quite busy lately so I thought I would give you a bit of an update.I had a rheumy appointment 2 weeks ago and have now been taken off Methotexate after 18 months due to mouth ulcers getting worse again and I am now on Sulfasalazine.I have also been informed I now also have Osteoarthritis in my knees.I have been quite well but now the hot weather is upon us I am now struggling with the swelling and pain in my hands and wrists yet again.I just wondered if anyone has any idea if there is anything that can help for this as it gets rather painful and very stiff when I go out in the sun.They have gloves for warming your hands but how about keeping them cool ? I think it is something that needs to be looked into.Thank You all.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry I can't help S4G, cold always makes my joints ache more!
    I hope you have more success with Sulfasalazine, did they not suggest injected Methotrexate? Many, including me, have fewer problems with that.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Sorry about the OA joining the party. There are all too many of us who have 'done the double'. I do hope the sulph works for you. As for the heat, I've no real suggestion other than cold water as often as possible. My RA has never liked heat though I think it's the humidity more than the actual temperature.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Thankyou I did ask to go on the injection first but the doc told me it will not make my ulcers improve as I thought injection would of been the best other option.He suggested to try Sulfasalazine and so far with 2 weeks in I have not noticed any side effects and hopefully it will stay that way.I also agree it is the humidity that causes mine rather than the temperature.Maybe I could try cooling sprays to help as I am on holiday in 4 weeks and will be out in the sun quite a lot unless it rains for the 2 weeks. :lol:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Don't know whether this is worth a try, I have OA and neuropathy in my hands. My hands are very stiff and burning pain in the morning, I soak my hands with tepid water and Epsom salts, I feel it dampens down the burning and helps with the stiffness. hope you get a solution soon.............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello shandy
    Sorry you are struggling, but glad to see the new meds dont have the side effects...hopefully that will continue..I struggle with the humid weather..sorry I cant help with anything to cool the hands but I like villiers idea of the epson salts I have been reading about thsi for joint pain and it is used a lot in the states..hope you get some relief soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • shandy4greenday
    Thank You all I will give the epsom salts a try :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm a fully paid-up member of the YRAC (Year-Round Arthritis Club): the heat aggravates my PsA, the cold and damp aggravates my OA. It's great fun. :|

I take sulph - it was the first drug I was given when I was seven years in, it helps to control the little psoriasis I have and, after twelve years on it, has given me tinnitus to keep me company when the world is quiet. I also take injected meth and injected humira but it's all too little too late as OA has moved in all over the shop. No matter - I hope the sulph is as effective for you as it is for my mate Nigel, his PsA is very well controlled by it so I hope it will help your RA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben