SOIL!

Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 6. Jul 2014, 08:22 in Community Chit-chat archive
My tortoise was wandering loose in the garden, I realised I hadn't seen her for a while, so started to search for her. I found her, very distressed, having somehow managed to roll herself over onto her back!
I quickly picked her up to turn her over and just as quickly regretted doing so. She had, in her distress, soiled herself rather spectacularly!
So I grabbed a nearby watering can and rinsed her down before taking her indoors to bath her properly. I hurried through the house and into the utility room where I bathed her, and scrubbed my hands, yuk! I don't know if you've ever smelt tortoise "soil", but take it from me, it's vile!
Then I took my now gleaming tortoise :D back outside, only to find my dog had discovered the remainder of the vile "soil" ( her favourite perfume) and rolled in it :o
So, back to the utility room, with dog protesting because she knew she was heading for a bath, when I noticed a trail of "soil" across the floor of that room which cannot be mentioned on this forum, and into the utility room. I had trodden in it and traipsed it everywhere!
I now have a clean tortoise, a clean dog, a clean floor and a very, very achey body.
Oh, and no slippers, they couldn't be saved :roll:
I've had problems with my dog rolling in tortoise "soil" before, but never anything as spectacular as this!!! :lol:
Numpty

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What a day!!! :lol: Sorry, but I did laugh. That's just the kind of thing that happens around here, with our arthritic dog, not a tortoise.

Hope your clean-up goes well and you get to put feet up soon.

Sending you a virtual cup o' tea....
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Numpty where do we get the strengh and the adreniline from? BUT WE DO ... then you think Well its even cleaner than it was before .sometimes if we have to pull things out we find things lost :lol: even money BUT at the time its pants rest up now ..you did remind me of Tommy elderly cat with problems ...he would dump all over the hall carpet then try to bury it bless him ..he would have been about 80 in cat years ,I miss him still have the rug about 10 wash cycles but rather have him xxx for tortoise doggy and you Marrianne :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Oh dear Numpty you were right in it weren't you. Mig
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    My own dog , Betsy , is very jealous ; she loves that perfume !
    mamasmurf
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Ah Numpty, I can sympathise on two counts - one I'm quite good at making explosive nappy situations worse with my ability to accidentally spread. Two, Chaka, my beautiful white Dalmatian LOVES calf poo aftershave. Tis currently the season for it and he's averaging four baths a week - or hosing down in the back yard. Never work with children and animals xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Oh my, what a time you were having. 2 very big and very hairy dogs I used to have loved eau de rotten fish to roll in. It took several baths to even start to get rid of the smell and they immediately went looking for some more. Yuk.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Dear!!!

They so love the stuff don't they dogs :roll:

Glad torty is ok now though and not trapped on her/his back :shock:

shame about you and the slippers though :(

love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Numpty, this did make me laugh (I'm sorry :oops: but it did :oops: ) - what a smelly palaver. And also hard work. :( Please take things easy today and I hope Madame Tortoise doesn't attempt a repeat performance, norty Torty! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Numpty I am sorry but I am another that laughed...one things thing leads to another..I can just see the dog sneaking out while you were washing the tortoise :lol: ..by the way I do know the smell I used to keep them many years ago.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Congratulations on your marathon laundryfest, Numpty. (Ve hef vays ov making you exercise)

Now I remember why I don't have pets. My sister had tortoises and dogs when I was little but I have to say none were quite as unhygienic as my younger son though he never actually rolled in it. (To my knowledge.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    :o Well I had no idea tortoises were so noxious. I think I had visions of neat little pellets, of digested dandelions etc (if I had been asked to give it any thought at all :? ) ok so no tortoises for me.

Sorry you did the tracking-in thing, oh the horror when you realise. :( Poor you.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Have ordered new slippers, I hope they fit! My old ones had moulded to my foot shape, oh I do miss them :(
    Both dog and tortoise are behaving, and both are sparkling clean still.
    I'm pleased it made some of you laugh, I can see the funny side of it now, at the time though......
    Numpty