Anyone had Acupuncture?

Options
jamart
jamart Member Posts: 27
edited 10. Jul 2014, 18:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was asked by my physio if I would like to try acupuncture, I declined at first as I'm not very good when needles are involved, but after getting fed up with the pain thought I might as well give it a go. I have artheritis in my subtalar joint in my ankle. So went for my first session, 5 needles in various points in my foot and 1 at the side of my knee. Still very sceptical at this point, but the pysio said I might feel a little light headed, which I did. After 10 mins with the needles in and 1 turn of them she took them out. After only an hour later at home I was walking quiet a bit better than normal and with not as much pain, could this really be working? the effects lasted about 5 days. Couldn't put the relief down to any thing else and now I carnt wait for my next appointment just to find out if it really is the acupuncture! Has anyone else tried acupuncture and did it work?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Of course we have, I did before I knew what was going wrong with me and no, it didn't help at all. Others on here have and it 'worked' in terms of giving short term-relief which is something to appreciate. It can't fix the basic problem but if it makes life a little easier for you then that is a good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I did years ago but had to go privately as it wasn't offered then on the NHS. I think you can rest assured in these days of stringency that, if the NHS offer it, it has some proven value. I think your experience sounds about right in that it can help somewhat as part of a treatment regime without doing anything miraculous. Please keep us informed of future sessions. I hope they go well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello jamart
    There are a few people on here had relief from acupuncture..when you think how far this goes back there must be something in it..good luck and I hope it carry's on helping..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,953
    Options
    Hello Jamart
    i had acupuncture for 6 weeks at our doctors surgery it did help in the beginning i have the pain across my hips. i can go back if i want too.
    its worth a try good luck
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I did have a good few months of acupuncture but unfortunately, it didn't do much for me and as it wasn't offered on the NHS, I felt I couldn't justify the expense at £50 per session. I have Rheumatoid, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I know there is some evidence for acupuncture and managing pain, although like most things, it won't work for everyone but if you've had some initial relief, that sounds really encouraging. Best of luck!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    My physio offered my acupuncture a few years ago....OA in hips, ankle neck and spine and scoliosis. I thought...I'll try anything :lol:
    I don't know how yours is working but he did it one day a week for 6 weeks. I found {like you} for 5 days I got relief.....didn't take the pain away completely but for me it was a result :wink:
    This happened every week for the 6 weeks {5 days out of 7}
    Had a break of about 2 months and then he did another 6 sessions.
    After that he said if it was up to him he would keep giving them but the powers that be said no.....that's all the NHS could afford at the moment {not those words exactly :lol: }
    Then at the end of last year I had another 6 sessions and had just started the 2nd lot when I had my Hip replacement so it had to be stopped.......not sure when or if I will get any more.
    Go for it.
    Eileen
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi
    My osteopath asked me if I wanted to try acupunture for my back problem which was giving me referred pain in my legs.
    I was more intrigued rather than hopeful to try it and agreed.
    Didn't feel any discomfort,but nor did it give any pain relief,but at least gave it a try!
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • jamart
    jamart Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi thank you all for telling your stories on acupuncture. Am having another session on the 19th july, that's the first date I could get an appointment. I can have 3 sessions with the nhs and then if I think its working I can have another 3. Am going to continue with it as am at that stage where I'll try anything! I'll keep you all informed as to how its going.
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I recently had six sessions of acupuncture with needles in my lower leg connected with electric wires to a machine that sent low voltages through the needles.

I had a new knee two years ago and suffered ever since with a stiff joint and lots of referred pain.

I found the treatment worked for me and still note the improvement.

I would recommend acupuncture to anyone.