Tour de France

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 9. Jul 2014, 18:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
Or, as it currently is, Tour de Yorkshire. I never intended watching a minute of it despite the lycra. Cycling doesn't interest me. But I couldn't resist Le Grand Depart and then, once they got going proper, it's been fun looking at all the familiar landmarks decked out in 'tour' bunting, yellow cycles everywhere - adorned with flowers, stuck up in trees, no imagination stome left unturned. Even some sheep have been painted in tour colours and cycles carved into hills.

I want to see how they cope with the difficult Dales bits so looked on the official site to see when they get where. I found all the hills are officially 'cotes' so Buttertubs Pass is now 'Cote de Buttertubs'. How wonderful! Gallic Yorkshire. I love it :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Same here SW, but they have gone all out..I love the wooden Eiffel tower and the red spotted pub..sadly Mark Cavandish crashed has he was speeding toward the finish line..he is in hospital at the min..hope he can rejoin it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    It looks lovely doesn't it Yorkshire all yellow.

Over here we've been yellow for a while in memory of Stephen Sutton

xxx
  • stickywicket
    I hope it's proper gold, rather than just yellow, for that very special young man. He more than deserved it.

I enjoyed yesterday but don't think I can manage so much TV two days running. Some of it will be the same anyway. Addingham village has been virtually shut down for two days :o I've no idea what the emergency services are doing if they need to get in.

Pity about Mark Cavandish but, as he said himself, he went for a gap that wasn't there. Well done to the 'King of Buttertubs' :D

And, because the commentators clearly don't know - it's Harewood in these parts. Lord Harewood might call himself Lord Har(e)wood and might call his spread Har(e)wood House but it's still in the village of Harewood - where they have 'hares', not 'hars' :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I didn't watch any of it but the pictures in today's Sundays are fabulous., you do live in a lovely part of the world. As for Cavendish - what a twerp. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    I just had to look it up.

Buttertubs - 20 metre deep limestone potholes. It is said that the name of the potholes came from the times when farmers would rest there on their way to market. During hot weather they would lower the butter they had produced into the potholes to keep it cool.

Makes sense. I only watched for about 10 mins today. Over to you lot in S. Yorks now :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What a reasonable explanation for an unusual name (which has to be said in a proper Yorkshire accent to fulfil its maximum effect).

It's the Cambridge to London leg today. Ho-hum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    I am sooo loving the Tour de France. I went up to Sheffield to watch and it was much better than the Olympics (and I was a Volunteer at the Road Race and Time Trial so I come from a position of experience) - what an atmosphere. I love cycling, so yes I am biased but it was brilliant. I have three weeks of heaven :D Today I am sad because Chris Froome is out but how exciting have the cobble stones been?? These cyclists put many other athletes to shame..... but perhaps I have worked in the pampered world of football too long :?: