Sulfasalazine

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 8. Jul 2014, 13:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been on Sulfalazine a little over 2 weeks now and increased the dose on Sunday to 2 tablets twice daily.This morning I have a little upset stomach and I noticed some bruising on the top of my right hand.I looked at the possible side effects and unexplained bruising is one of them,is this anything I should be worried about or not?

Comments

• Barbieg
    Barbieg Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have been on Sulfasalazine since I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago and can't remember having any side effects. I do remember it took months before I was almost back to normal. Everybody is different, but to put your mind at rest I would ring your help line. They will be able to help you . Barbara.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm on Sulfasalazine and I get bruises popping up for no apparent reason, I don't worry about it, if you do, ring your Rheumy nurse for reassurance :D
    Have you seen any benefit from taking it yet, or is it too soon to tell?
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I was on Sulphasalazine years ago. The only real problem I had with it over 13 years was that I felt fine after increasing up to 3 every day, but when I increased it to 4 a day I felt nauseous. I did eventually manage it though. Can't remember anything like bruising. Hope you get answers soon.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• shandy4greenday
    Options
    Too soon to tell yet Numpty I do feel a little nauseous since it has increased I am hoping it settles as up till now I have had no side effects.I may sit it out for a few days and see if it settles unless there is any other change.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Your feeling nauseous may just be a coincidence, I'd stick with it for a while if you can.
    Hope it works for you.
    Numpty
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I've been taking sulfasalazine since the beginning of the year - I now tend to bruise fairly easily too. I first noticed the bruising on my thighs a few weeks ago; I stopped allowing our 6 month old granddaughter jumping on my legs ( just to make sure that my theory was correct!), low and behold, the bruising stopped! So, rather than seeing it as unexplained bruising ( which would have worried me), I now know I bruise easily - and she's now allowed to climb all over me again!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When I began sulph my bruising was extensive but only from the waist down. :? I now bruise easily (my masseuse has recently triggered around ten) but if you are conscientious about doing your blood tests then all should be well (because this is how the docs monitor our reaction to the drug). I never had headaches or nausea but we are all different in how we react to these things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I have been fine up till I just increased it but at the moment it's not that bad but I will keep an eye on things and like you said I'm sure my bloods will monitor it in the meantime.Sometimes things happen till it settles as did when I was taking Methotrexate for a little while.