Bilateral hip replacement

Options
13»

Comments

• rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good to hear you have been out - a major step forward.

I remember after my THR that I was becoming concerned that I would never be pain free but I am now. It took two years though to get there. I had a great deal of pain at times - I remember suffering greatly four months after the surgery. It continued but I found that I could walk greater and greater distances before the pain would kick back in.
    Sometimes pain would appear just from sitting - I guess that this stretches certain soft tissues.
    As for the clicking I think this is totally normal. I remember swimming at three months post op (doing breast stroke which my surgeon said was perfectly okay for me) and with every stroke the hip clicked. It also slid around when I stood still - I sing and choir practice was always interesting when I suddenly got distracted by my hip slip sliding away!
    It all settles but takes different amounts of time for different people. Some people do recover fast. I am aware of a few who have had a rapid onset of severe osteo-arthritis and within six months had a THR. I had a long slow decline and several ops before the THR and I can totally understand in my case why it was so slow.
    Today, three years on and I can walk as far as I like with no pain whatsoever. I know it is hard and frustrating but you have to give it time.

Have a lovely trip away - it will do you the world of good.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, how are things going now? I was without a computer last week which was very frustrating! If you are yet to go to Paris I hope you have a good time, if you are in Paris I hope it's going well, and if you're back I hope you had a blast and that the new hips behaved. DD

PS The surface healing may be done but there is still deeper healing to be done, that can take a while.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wildway
    wildway Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in replying to Dreamdaisy and thought I would update anyway.

I had a wonderful time in Paris. I managed to get a round on buses and even one metro. We stayed by the Tuileries so I could sit for periods in the foliage whilst my friend went shopping. The weather was kind for all three days too. My problem is that my appetite is back with vengeance and I ate for Engald - some lovely meals as you do in France :D

Then it was no rest for the wicked as I turned 50 at the weekend and my brother hosted a party. I also had friends staying and carried on the celebrations on Sunday. :)

So, I've been recovering since! Really, I am so tired. Partly because of the unusual levels of activity after 6 weeks of mostly sitting, not sleeping well - an issue with the bed and partly due to back-ache that seems to have crept up on me. I'm thinking of a new mattress or at least a mattress topper as the bed isn't actually that old. Any recommendations? It seems to be a minefield of duck down, hollow fibre and memory foam. I went to try the mattress toppers in John Lewis and of course the most comfortable is also the most expensive at £225! :shock:

Hope all is well with you all?!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello! It's lovely to hear from you again and I am so pleased that Paris went well - and the birthday celebrations too; I send belated wishes for a landmark natal day!

Toppers etc. are a minefield and very much down to personal preference; many threads have been devoted to them and no clear answers given. I am steering clear of one at the moment because I am having enough trouble regulating my body temperature without the added assistance of memory foam to warm me up even further.

As for all being well, well I guess I am but my forty or so affected joints would have me believe otherwise. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I'd been wondering how you got on in Paris. It sounds to have been lovely and I'm pleased you managed to make the most of it.

I guess the back pain could just be due to a bit of extra work demanded of it. Monitor it and mention it to the doc if it doesn't improve with a bit of rest.

Certainly beds are important. I went down the route of a double sprung one with integrated memory foam on top. I would never have any other now and I've never needed a topper so can't help on that score. If you put 'mattress topper' into the search engine at the top of the page several old threads come up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wildway
    wildway Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks Stickywicket. Can I ask the make and cost of your mattress?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I wish I could tell you but I've no idea :oops: I think the relevant bit is the mattress which is about 3/4 sprung and 1/4 memory foam. It's a solid bed ie goes down to just above the floor and king size like Mr SW :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright