Rhumatology Appointment

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 10. Jul 2014, 08:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a Rhumatologist appointment yesterday, saw a different Rhumatologist than my usual one. She was very helpful and listened to what I wanted to say. I mentioned that my left shoulder was getting more and more painful when using or listening the arm so she has a feel and asked me to move it. She said I had R.A in it and suggested I had a steroid injection in it to help the pain, it's been hurting so bad lately I agreed to it. I told her about my A & E visit the end of last month and she took one look at my left foot and said the A & E Dr was wrong I had a bunion! So she is going to write to my G.P so she can refer me so to the hospital so it can be removed. She finally wanted to look at my legs and knee's and she asked me about movement and I told her the stairs are getting harder to do especially getting upstairs so she suggested it was time to talk to my G.P about having a stair lift put in my home. Over all it was a constructive appointment!!

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good to hear that it went well and was helpful. Hope the steroid injection helps.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi bubba
    I had a good rheumy appo0intment a few weeks ago doesn't it make a difference when they make time to listen and examine you, I do wish you well and hope you get that bunion removed very soon it will make such a difference to you..and the injection in your shoulder hope that comes through soon has well...
    Love
    Barbara
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    It's always so much better when it's a constructive appointment :)
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Great to hear you had a good appointment. I have had bunion operations on both feet when I was 19 years old. If you thought Arthritis pain was bad.....be prepared for what is coming :cry: However, I will say it was one of the best things I ever did as I probably would not be walking now if I hadn't had not taken the plunge. It was also suggested that I had the top joint in my second toe fused in the first operation. I had a pin sticking out of the top of my toe for four weeks which was then pulled out with pliers. I would NEVER have that done again, oh noooo.
    Foot pain is so painful, I really, really feel for you. You often hear people say 'Oh I need to get my bunions sorted' like they are little warts. Make no mistake, it is major orthopaedic surgery. Good luck.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Went to see the vampires this morning! I asked them to take the blood from my right arm rather than my left as my left shoulder is still recovering from the steroid injection. It does make you feel good Barbara when you have a productive Rheumy appointment.
    Tubby I don't know what happens when you have a bunion removed, the nurse who took my blood said it should be a day surgery but that's all I know.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Bubba, try not to worry. No surgery is pleasant! But hopefully it will improve things in the long term for you. :D
    I'm pleased you had a good appointment, and hope you get some relief with the injection.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • Barbieg
    Barbieg Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I have had both my bunions removed , one at a time. They were both done with local anesthetic in a clinic and took about an hour all told. Had no problems at all other than one was not quite as good as the other due I think to the fact that my RA was just starting and the podiatrist couldn't move the joint over as much as he wanted to.My chiropodist recommended the surgeon to me and I have never regretted having it done. Had virtually no pain afterwards either. A neighbour had hers done last year, but they did the operation differently and put her in plaster for weeks. It was not a success, so my advice to you would be to do some research if you can. Especially on the different operations, and surgeons . I hope this helps. Barbara.