Knee Brace Update

Options
Sarah01
Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
edited 14. Jul 2014, 15:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well. Apologies for not being on the forum recently. We are currently house hunting and work has been very very busy. Just wanted to update you on the ongoing saga with my knee.

Had an appointment with the orthotics department last week. Unfortunately it didn't go as well as expected. My surgeon who did the THR wrote to the orignal surgeon I saw at my local hospital. He sent the referral to the orthotics department, unfortunately the surgeon at my local hospital only told him to fit a knee brace. The poor guy in orthotics had no idea what was wrong with my knee or which knee it was for that matter. So after popping to see the physio who had a copy of the letter with the diagnosis he measured me up for a knee brace. He told me I could be looking at another 4 weeks with the appointments schedule.

Got home from work today and I have an appointment for next Monday, I rang them to be sure and the knee brace will be with them tomorrow, they must have had an appointment cancellation :) after 6 months of on again off again I am finally getting somewhere :) I have to wear it for a few weeks before I see the surgeon who did the THR to see where we go from there. So at the moment things are looking up.

Sarah x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sarah I am so pleased you are moving on at last, I will have everything crossed that this brace will help...then who's knows what you will get up to... :) good luck xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Thank you Barbara :)

The orthotics guy showed me the brace I would be getting, it's a fair piece of equipment. It's metal with holes for a key so I can tighten or loosen the pressure on my knee to open the joint up more as and when needed. My hubby and friends all say I will look like Robocop :lol: but if it does the job then I don't care :)

The good news is that it will give me the stability I need to not use the crutch anymore which will be great :)

I hope you are doing well?

Sarah x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am glad this is being done but be careful not to over-use it; supports and braces can make the muscles surrounding the joint lazy because they are no longer involved with supporting the joint. I used to wear knee supports but no longer do for this reason.

House hunting? Oh that's fun, frustrating and tiring. Does your husband have any input (am I right in thinking he works abroad?) or is it all down to you? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi DD,

I got the new knee brace today, asked the guy in orthotics a lot of questions about stability, joints and muscles and how long to wear the brace for. I'm going to start wearing it for a few hours a day whilst at work and then slowly build it up if all goes well.

We've found a house, I put an offer in last week and it's been accepted :) my husband trusts my judgement, I showed him the house on the website and he liked the look of it, he is going to have a look around it tomorrow as he only came home yesterday and yes you're right he does work abroad.

How is life treating you?

Sarah x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Crikey, Sarah! That sounds like a lot of hard work on your part. I'm very pleased you've fi nally got the brace and I do hope it does the job it's intended to do. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm glad he's back and well done to you - make the most of him whilst he's around, yes? :wink: Thank you for asking about how things are, life is treating me as it usually does, I wish it was better but I'm thankful it's not worse. Mind you, a couple of years ago my worst is now my norm. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben