has anybody got seronegative enthesopathic arthritis?

Options
feeringsteve
feeringsteve Member Posts: 16
edited 23. Jul 2014, 14:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Today I had my first rheumatology appointment ever,The dr thinks I have seronegative enthesopathic arthritis he gave me two injections depo-medrone.can any body shed light on what this is
thanks Steve

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Steve,

I have seronegative arthritis, that means that there has been no rheumatoid factor identified in your blood which is one of the tests for rheumatoid arthritis. Entheseopathy means where the tendons attach to the bone - I guess that means you have inflammation at those points. You were injected with a steroid. Steroids help to work as an anti-inflammatory and hopefully calm things down.

The resources section of the Arthritis Care website might be a good place for you to have a look and find out more.

Hope that helps.
    LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    How are things now, Steve? Steroid injections work very well for some but less so for others. I do hope yours is helping but, if so, don't be misled. It's a temporary aid not a permanent solution - alas :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • feeringsteve
    Options
    hi sticky
    not sure if injection is helping ,my feet hurt on my heels and struggle to walk but I am only 10weeks after hip replacement,gone back to work this week also so not fare to say. I walk about a lot supervising .
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Steve,

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't enthesopathic arthritis often associated with diseases such as; Crohn's?

I usually respond to the steroid jabs within a week to 10 days. Have you noticed any reduction in morning joint stiffness and general swelling?

Back at work just 10 weeks after a hip replacements? Wow, I'm not surprised you are struggling a bit. Are you work supportive?

Best wishes
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds like a tough job for someone who is 12 weeks post THR. Try not to overdo it and, if you do, take time out to recover. This is still early days and I would hope you could get a bit more time off or be eased back in to work slowly.

Your rheumatologist says you have sero-neg. enthesopathic arthritis but you have just had a THR which suggests you probably also have osteoarthritis. (I have both RA and OA. The OA resulted from the RA not being treated with proper disease modifying meds in the early years.) If you have both it'll be a bit more complicated as regards what helps which. If you have foot problems you could ask for a referral to an orthotist for orthotic insoles. They might help a bit.
    Steven Wright
  • feeringsteve
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I have never had any diagnoses for OA, they always say wear and tear,I have a bad neck that gives me headaches and a bad lower back, apparently I have bone spurs. my hip got bad over 2 years, so the physio referred me .i also get rib pain when I lay on my side 1yr after I broke a rib,fainted up a step ladder!
    waiting to see what the blood tests show ,I also have two children that have eds type 3 and where NG tube feed upto the ages of 7.and 5 .

I had to go back to work as I am selfemployed carpenter and had a good offer,but it's not ideal
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh Steve, I do feel for you. You are really up against it.

'Wear and tear' is another term for osteoarthritis. It's a very misleading one as some patients are a bit young to have had much wear and tear. It seems they are now wondering if it's actually an autoimmune form of arthritis instead or maybe as well as.

I hope the rheumatologist can sort it all out and get you on some meds that will help.I also hope your work doesn't prove too painful.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi, my feet hurt at my heels too, in my case it's Achilles tendonitis (diagnosed by my rheumatologist) and I also get the occasional bout of plantar fasciitis (that feels as though you are standing on a spike). I have an auto-immune arthritis plus OA.

You are still in the early days of recovery from such a major operation, please take the best care so that you don't upset the surgeon's hard work. I agree with Sticky, you are up against it, life cannot be easy. I am sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • feeringsteve
    Options
    thank you all for the replies ,am taking it easy at work. but you can't win take a less manual job,and then you feet start hurting even on rest and back and neck pain. it's like somebody is just laughing at you
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We're not laughing, mate, we know what it's like. :( Pain is a fact of our lives, continual, unrelenting, on-going pain whether we're resting, working, relaxing, sleeping. I've been in pain for eighteen years and can no longer what pain-free feels like , which is a boon.

You are still in the early post-surgery days, there is much deep-healing to be done so please don't over-do things too much. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi feeringsteve,

I have sero negative inflammatory arthritis. I've been told as part of this I've got 'enthesitis' which is inflammation where tendons or ligaments insert into bone. So I'm assuming you have a similar thing if not the same. Enteropathic arthritis sounds similar but 'Enteropathic' means associated with the bowel, such as crohns or ulcerative colitis.

Have you been tested for the gene type HLAb27? People with sero-neg arthritis and/or ankylosing spondylitis (AS) are often positive for this.

We all seem to have varying responses to injected steroids. Depo-medrone is the supposedly long acting 'depot' steroid which they tell you will last up to a few weeks. Sometimes they've terminated a flare up for me, other times I've barely had any relief from them :wink:

Have they suggested putting you on any other medication?
  • feeringsteve
    Options
    he gave me blood test for the gene ,also liver .the most pain I get a present is my heels ,the hurt like mad.the shoulder and neck are painful but swimming helps them ,
    not sure what meds ,I have got to see him in 2 months
    but he did say the tendons