Methotrexate

Options
farmgirl
farmgirl Member Posts: 20
edited 13. Jul 2014, 05:13 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everybody, newbie here, have only recently been diagnosed with PsA, and have been asked to go on Methotrexate, having only heard bad things about it I 'm hoping someone has something positive to say about it...

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi farmgirl, welcome to the forum. I am afraid it is OA I have so can't really answer your question, bear in mind everyone is different. If you repost this on Living with Arthritis you will get a better response although I feel there are a lot of people on holidays at the moment I am just back myself. This is a great forum for knowledge, support and not to forget the best medicine the laughter. Nice to meet you hope to see you around..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • farmgirl
    farmgirl Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Marie, I did post it somewhere else, but as I'm new I'm not sure where to post to get the right results!! Thanks for replying its nice that people care enough to reply, I also have OA, but that doesn't cause me to much bother at the moment...........x
    PS I thought this was Living with Arthritis!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi

If you click on the board index at the top of the page on the left hand side it will bring up all the forums, you can them click on the Living with Arthritis one and start your thread there.
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello farmgirl. I've been on meth for about 14 years with no problems. If you're not used to taking any medication I guess these meds do look a bit scary but they have to list any potential side-effects – that doesn't mean to say we will get them. We have to play our part with these meds as they are powerful so we must have our regular blood tests as directed because they will pinpoint any potential problems before they become serious. We should also have the flu virus every year.

Since I went on meth, I don't think I get any more colds etc than previously but they can hang on for longer so I am careful about hygiene. (I'm the person in the doc's surgery who does use the alcohol gel after signing in. :wink: ) I think the 'hair loss' thing sounds horrific but all I've ever had is one or two on the pillow or in the wash basin after washing my hair.

We have to get a balance. No-one enjoys being med-dependent but, when I was first diagnosed, there were no disease modifying meds on offer and I live with the consequences of that. Powerful meds to control a powerful disease. If you have concerns, why not give our helpline a call? Good luck :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright