Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Lost, Hurting, and Scared--My Juvenile Arthritis Experience

stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,887
edited 24. Jul 2014, 03:00 in Young people's community
For what it's worth, I think you're right to go on some 'proper' medication. I was diagnosed at 15 with Still's Disease (a juvenile form of RA) and didn't get anything other than anti-inflammatories and pain relief for some years. This allowed my disease to take hold. I'm far from young now and doing well on a combination of two DMARDS but, if I had my time over, I'd take DMARDS or biologics straight off like a shot.

I think you will have to re-think all the sporting activity though. Exercise is good – vital even – but it should be the kind that doesn't stress the joints. Many of yours sound to be very tough on joints. Swimming and cycling are usually recommended. I realise there's a vast difference between these and team sports but maybe you and your physio can come up with some compromise.

If you re-post about how people find humira on the Living With Arthritis forum you'll get more replies – OK mostly from older people but at least I guess it's better than none :wink: Good luck :D
“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken

Comments

• dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wow, that's some story and thank you for taking the time to post it. I am not a young person any more (and I was never as sporty as you thanks to severe asthma) but I loved playing tennis and going for walks. Now I can't manage either of those thanks to extensive joint damage caused by psoriatic arthritis which has led to osteo in some very useful joints.

I agree with Sticky (I usually do :wink: ) I am on humira but for me it's far too little far too late, my damage is done. It is containing the PsA, along with injected methotrexate and tablet sulphasalazine but I don't feel any true benefit. There is a good chance, however, that you will so start taking it, please. I always ignore the dire warnings about side effects, I've been on strong medical drugs since the age of eleven and I'm still here - if it wasn't for the arthritis I'd be fine! :lol: Take care and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben