Lost, Hurting, and Scared--My Juvenile Arthritis Experience

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 24. Jul 2014, 03:00 in Young people's community
For what it's worth, I think you're right to go on some 'proper' medication. I was diagnosed at 15 with Still's Disease (a juvenile form of RA) and didn't get anything other than anti-inflammatories and pain relief for some years. This allowed my disease to take hold. I'm far from young now and doing well on a combination of two DMARDS but, if I had my time over, I'd take DMARDS or biologics straight off like a shot.

I think you will have to re-think all the sporting activity though. Exercise is good – vital even – but it should be the kind that doesn't stress the joints. Many of yours sound to be very tough on joints. Swimming and cycling are usually recommended. I realise there's a vast difference between these and team sports but maybe you and your physio can come up with some compromise.

If you re-post about how people find humira on the Living With Arthritis forum you'll get more replies – OK mostly from older people but at least I guess it's better than none :wink: Good luck :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow, that's some story and thank you for taking the time to post it. I am not a young person any more (and I was never as sporty as you thanks to severe asthma) but I loved playing tennis and going for walks. Now I can't manage either of those thanks to extensive joint damage caused by psoriatic arthritis which has led to osteo in some very useful joints.

I agree with Sticky (I usually do :wink: ) I am on humira but for me it's far too little far too late, my damage is done. It is containing the PsA, along with injected methotrexate and tablet sulphasalazine but I don't feel any true benefit. There is a good chance, however, that you will so start taking it, please. I always ignore the dire warnings about side effects, I've been on strong medical drugs since the age of eleven and I'm still here - if it wasn't for the arthritis I'd be fine! :lol: Take care and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben