Diabetes type 1 with retina problems? Anyone out there?

Options
fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 15. Jul 2014, 04:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I have had Type 1 Diabetes for about 30+ years. Bad control at various times in these years has led to a lot of Lazer treatment when living in Spain.

RA reared it's ugly head about 7 months ago and I take MTX 15mg weekly and am about to start Plaquenil. Yesterday I went for an appointment to have another Lazer blast but after extensive tests the consultant decided things have improved and it wasn't necessary. And I could actually see on the computer the improvement!

I am wondering if there is anyone on here who has similar problems taking MTX and Plaqenil and retina problems. As with all drugs there is a small risk that the Plaquenil which could be dangerous to sight. My optical consultant was very caring and spent a long time explaining things to me. And explained the tests that I will have to do monthly to ensure that there is no further damage to my sight.

But I am still a bit wary. So if you have similar experience I'd like to hear from you,
Thanks for reading
Fortuna

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello fortuna
    Sorry I cant offer any advice, but I do hope the improvement carry's on for you, it must be so scary...I hope the meds work well for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help either. I've taken plaquenil for years with no problems but I don't have diabetes. I know both can affect the eyes but, as you'll be well-monitored, I think I'd go for it in your case as plaquenil is a mild DMARD in other respects. I wish you well in your tricky decision.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Thanks Barbara. My diary is full of RA appointments! Tomorrow I go to have my insoles fitted. Original appointment end of August but a cancellation means tomorrow. so that is a plus!
    Thanks SW you always have wise words. I'm worrying a bit about what shoes these insoles will fit! I normally take size 7 but at a WVS jumble sale (I only went along because I'm thinking of joining) I found a really nice pair of 8's for 50 pence. So not much lost if they are no good.
    So tomorrow I shall be carting along 3 pairs of shoes and hoping something will fit.
    Fortuna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm not wise by any means, fortuna, though it's kind of you to say so. I just have many, MANY years of arthritis under my belt :lol:

I think if they're examining your eyes monthly then they're taking things seriously and I'd be reassured by that.

As for insoles - I have to wear surgical shoes so mine come with them in place. All I can think is that you'll need strong, supportive shoes. Oddly, I believe trainers are quite good. Lace-ups tend to be more supporting than others but I had to graduate to velcro many years ago :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright