Metoject Pen Injections?

Options
purplepatch
purplepatch Member Posts: 28
edited 11. Aug 2014, 11:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went to collect my usual prescription from chemist only to be told they're changing from pre-filled syringes to automatic pen type syringes & they hadn't arrived yet! I've now none for this weeks injection. Does anyone know about this? (I'm in Scotland so it may be different here) I'm now panicking as I do my meth injections in abdomen & humira in thighs & must admit the thought of an automatic injection into my abdomen is terrifying me! Why when it's enough that we have to do these at all that they change the goalposts!! I was perfectly happy with my pre-filled inj.
Of course all this happens at the weekend when no-one is available for explanations! I can only hope the pre-filled inj. is going to be an option & not stopped altogether as I must admit I was quite upset about it yesterday

Purple

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This has cropped up before and few of us are happy with the change. I also do humira but always in my tummy because it has fewer nerve endings. I don't enjoy injecting in my thighs but I guess I'll have to give it a whirl. I don't like the pre-loaded Metoject syringe - the needle is far too short and stubby for my liking, requiring a good shove to pierce the skin: maybe the pen will be an improvement. :? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • purplepatch
    Options
    DD they changed the syringes a while ago & as you say a less fine needle was used & the "plunger" handles got bigger - all for our convenience!
    Having calmed down & taken several deep breaths I've had a day of going to & fro I've managed to secure 4 of the old type injections. The consensus is these are discontinued & it's now take it or leave it for the pen style.
    I am concerned there has been no prior warning of this in Scotland & it is now a fait accompli - does anyone know what size they are & if they fit in a sharps box?
    I feel stupid being so upset about this but I really think we should have been consulted

Purple
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Why should we be consulted? :? We're merely the poor saps who have to use this junk :wink: but, somewhere along the line, it is costing someone something. I know that my hospital has a £45,000,000 debt to clear so, understandably, they are cutting costs anywhere they can. Changing to Alcura home-delivery is one of their cost-cutting measures but at least the expense of my meth and humira is covered by the NHS via the government via the taxpayers. DD
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    You're not alone, they told me I would have to have this awful new pen too. For me the problem is lack of control, I hate needles and the only way I can self inject is if I have control over the needle and the speed the liquid is injected.

I have a suggestion for the NHS to cut costs, let us choose which type of injection we want. These self inject pens cost considerably more than the manual type. I was able to choose between 2 types of injections for my new TNF, smartinject or syringe. I guess the only people who will be left with a meth manual needle and syringe are those who are lucky enough to be at a hospital that makes their own batch of the medication. I know my old hospital used to make their own meth and they are not changing to any pen device in the near future.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Purple,

If your sharps box is a yellow tub they will fit in.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I did a thread on this very subject a good few weeks ago. My rheumy nurse had literally just left the meeting in which they were told about the forced change. Europe telling us what to do again :x :x
    I will try find the thread. .
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • grandadpaul
    grandadpaul Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Great post..
    i have had trouble with these..two out of my monthly batch of 4 would not work!!
    And before anyone says i do not know what i am doing i also take the Humira ones with no problems.
    how i wish we could go back to the old type.
    i have holes in my thigh where i have been injecting, but no fluid comes out.
    The new pens are crap!..no other word for it.
    I will now be without meth for two weerks..why because i cannot get through to the help line to tell them of my problem
    paul
  • grandadpaul
    grandadpaul Member Posts: 33
    Options
    By the way,,,
    I have been given a tell tub with purple top.
    Guess what ..they will not fit in!
    Boy am i not happy today
    paul
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    Options
    May be useful. Information on the phasing out of the syringes and replacement with a Pen http://metoject.co.uk/patient/metoject-is-switching/
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know that my humira sharps bin is not a suitable receptacle for my meth syringes but that my humira ones can go in the meth sharps if needed. Methotrexate is a cyto-toxic drug so the syringes cannot be disposed in the usual way, hence the warnings on their sharps bins.

If any of you out there are doing the two kinds of injections please keep the meth syringes confined to their proper sharps. DD
  • purplepatch
    Options
    In a fit of pique I emailed Medac-uk this is their response:

'Many thanks for your enquiry. I can confirm that as of the 1st July Metoject syringes were discontinued and replaced by Metoject PEN’s. This change was brought about due to feedback from the NHS and users of Metoject. They felt that having an auto-injector PEN, with a one button activation and 5 second administration time will be easier to use especially when patients have dexterity issues. The change has also been brought about due to changes in the laws which prevent needle stick injuries. Therefore after injection a needle shield is now locked in place covering the needle
    I understand your concerns and please be rest assured I will feed back your comments back to the management team. In the meantime please do have a look at the website, www.metoject.co.uk, which includes the administration guidelines as well as a video showing the administration technique. I do hope you try the new PEN and your initial reservations are overcome. '

No-one asked me :|
    Paul I hope you get replacements soon, I suspected they wouldn't fit in sharps box so will ask for an extra large one - thanks for the tip!
    DD My Humira is delivered & the sharps collected by Bupa Healthcare in Scotland which I think is the equivalent of HaH in England, Meth sharps have to be disposed of at the chemist - I don't think they'd be amused if I mixed up my sharps!

Purple
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I can understand the reasoning so good luck to those who will benefit (bet they moan though!) Far too many years ago I had desensitising injections at the doctors (to ease my chronic asthma) and they made a huge difference to my health, but because two people died after having their jabs, they stopped them for everyone. That was my early introduction on being on a hiding to nothing. :wink:

I've been thinking about this and have concluded that in the grand scheme of things it matters not. It will be administered by me and that is what counts. I'd appreciate feeling a benefit rather than seeing lovely bloods but no matter, I am merely a patient. I am grateful, however, that I don't have to directly pay for my meth and humira (unlike my other meds) so that is a boon. How pathetic is that? :lol: DD

P.S. Being a pedant about apostrophes (which are not complicated) their misplaced ones are upsetting.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I don't see why they just can't offer a pen and syringe version. The simponi syringe I had today (replacing a Pen that didn't work) has an automatic needle guard which is released once the injection is fully administrated.

Picture below of an example

http://images.rxlist.com/images/rxlist/orencia10.gif
  • purplepatch
    Options
    Bumped up for Tenbury

Purple
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Aww thank you so much p/p, Now I am going to have a nice cup of tea and relax before I watch the video. :shock: