The joyful anticipation of 'humdrum'

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 18. Jul 2014, 03:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have loved most minutes of the last five days but I am now the proverbial wet rag.

Son, daughter-in-law and grandson have just left for home. They came on Wednesday. On Tuesday I got a phone call asking if son's best friend since uni days could come too as he's been going through a very tough time lately. He's a lovely bloke. Of course I said yes.

It didn't help that all Wednesday's prep resulted in my being tired before they arrived. Thursday, my meth day, began early with a blood test despite the obligatory convivial night before. (All nights were convivial :oops: ) Friday (traditionally my post-meth lethargic day if I'm going to have one – oh I did!) involved a sticky visit to York. Best friend left on Fri and my sister arrived Sat. Mr SW changed the bed. I did the washing...and more washing. Throughout the five days everybody mucked in with everything – shopping, cooking, brewing up, washing up, playing with the grandson (Oh for the energy-levels of a 7yr old!), generally getting on well and having lots and lots of laughs. It was wonderful. And I am utterly shattered every which way.

This week will be as boringly uneventful as possible. The SW household is officially convalescing 8)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It sounds as though you had a lovely, albeit busy/tiring time. Humdrum? You and Mr Stickywicket? I wonder.
    You can't beat a few bottles of conviviality to lift the spirits :wink:
    Enjoy your restful week.
    Numpty
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    The thing is SW you don't really realise until all guests have gone how drained you are! I think it must be the adrenaline keeps you enjoying yourself until the last person has gone and then bang your body drains of energy and your batteries are totally flat! So this week you need to put your batteries on charge!! Glad you had a great time last week, it makes it all worth it!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, there's very little wrong with humdrum, routine and your normality being restored; Oscar Wilde got it right, yes? :wink: I am pleased you enjoyed it, it must have been lovely to see the family and Jim again but yes, small children and arthritis are not a comfortable mix. :( Rest up you two, I hope something convivial and flavoursome has been put in the right place to cool. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Sounds like a busy but fun few days, not surprised you feel tired now, take it easy and at least you have some nice memories to look back on.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sounds as though a great time was had by all, nothing nicer than guests to stay and a seven year old to errrrr keep you on your toes :wink: Nothing nicer than a bit of conviviality unless you have to get an emergency appointment for antibios for the uti it can give you, no conviviality for the rest of the week for me :cry: A nice lazy week for you two with some more conviviality, you both deserve it :D ...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've had a lazy day. I think we'll pass on the conviviality for a day or two :roll: I did know how knackered I was at the time but didn't care and still don't. It was fun and fun is very, very therapeutic :D
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Sounds as if you had a wonderful time despite being so tired. I'm sure the conviviality helped you through. Plenty of rest now. Feet up.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Aaahh humdrum, my favorite :D I just can't find the fun in having house guests these days, the last three have provoked flares for me which doesn't make me overly welcoming for the next time. I am hoping this is unique to me and doesn't happen to you.

Hope you get lots of rest and recover quickly.
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I've had to put off friends coming to stay as I know I can't manage it, i.e. cooking, cleaning, taking them around the countryside etc. I think the alternative will be meeting up with them at a hotel equidistant from us both. Mind you, the last time we did that, in York, I got so cold I had to go back to the hotel to get warm and leave the others out enjoying themselves.

I hate the control this disease has over me.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That's so sad. I think we need friends more than ever when we have something like arthritis to contend with.

I've had this disease much longer than you and learned how to deal with it as I went along. I try never to put off real friends though I do try to avoid those to whom I feel an obligation but little empathy. All my real friends and family know how things are with me and muck in with everything.

I cooked one meal for this visit on the first evening. Day 2 we had bought pizzas (which my son tarted up) and salad. Day 3 we had a pub lunch. Day 4 the men did a BBQ and bought some salad and Day 5 we were taken out for another pub lunch. For other meals everyone helped themselves. It's the being together that's important.

Arthritis only controls us up to a point. Within its limits we can still enjoy life. It's a different life but can still be very good.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    It sounds like you had a lovely week, despite it being hectic. Sometimes I find that I look forward to the rest period as much as I do the busy and fun parts.

Enjoy the relax, the rest and the normality.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Amen to that. I've just got a dentist appointment out of the way in the very nick of time to not involve a domino effect of shoving every other lined up appointment up a space, and today I'm revelling in the relief of not having to re-jig. :)

I had a nice quiet lunch out of the spoils of the diversion into town I made, and I haven't had to ring anyone, consult the calendar, or check any 'stuff', and it's been lovely. Time slows down so much without the things you have to do; like lynnoot says, control over your own life & time, boy do I miss that. I'm tired as a tick (as we say in my family, no idea why) but a few more days like this & it would a holiday in itself..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Sticky, are you bored now with humdrum? I am looking forward to getting mine back, one week down and one to go. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben