just a confused girl..asking for advice

Options
zulaikha
zulaikha Member Posts: 23
edited 12. Sep 2014, 05:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

So am 20 years old and about 3 months ago I was diagnosed with arthritis..and then about 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with lupus arthritis..at the time I was diagnosed I was studying my second year of Beauty Therapy..it was the hardest time of my life..mentally, emotionally and physically it was so hard..every day I felt drained out and in pain..so I had decided that I would stop studying and just rest. But then I thought that I only have 4 months to complete the course and I have to push myself, I was in a lot of pain some days I couldn't perform treatments on clients, but my tutor was really understanding and helped mi through it all. So now 3 weeks later I have finished the course and got a qualification. I was so happy when I had completed it because am not a person who gives up.

Now I have a place on level 3 nails, doing nails is my dream come true, its the moment I have been waiting for but I feel like what if I can't do it or what if I cant cope, but I dont want to keep pushing myself.

I really dont know what to do and im new to all of this I dont know what the future holds but all I want to do is complete this course. I really need some advice from everyone and if someones been in a similar situation then please guide me..

x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Here's a thought: none of us know what the future holds, it's a mystery that reveals itself day-by-day. Today I've woken as usual but I don't know if I'll make it to bed tonight - experience says yes but who knows? :wink:

Firstly, congratulations on completing the first part of your course; you have met the challenge, succeeded and that is a good thing. Secondly, yes, you are facing another challenge in completing the next stage but you know you can do it. It is important to listen to your body and to pace yourself as best you can. Keep your tutors informed about how things are going with you and give them any literature you have about your condition so you can teach them about something they won't know about. Thirdly, it's a sad truth that on occasions we have to keep pushing ourselves to do anything. You're in for the long haul but, from the sound of it, you will find the resources within to cope. I wish you well - and good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Well done ,you carry on pushing yourself it will be worth it in the long run,good nail techs are hard to find ,I love having my nails done the girl I've had for years is on maternity leave ,the others are ok but she understood the problems I have with my hands due to RA and knew how much I could take before I need to rest,some one who can be understanding because they have problems too will succeed so you carry on ,go for it girl. Mig
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Well done zulaikha!

Congratulations.::-D I am so proud of you for not stopping but persevering and you have been rewarded for your efforts.

Your tutors are sympathetic to your needs. They can see that you are an extremely keen student and they wish to help you ll they can.

Try not to think too far ahead, none of us knows what will happen to us, so not worth worrying about it all the time.

You go girl, do let us know how you go on.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Same has the others have said , you have got through he course and congratulations..arthritis is is not about what you cant do but what you can..that is my motto anyway... :) you carry on pushing... with rest in between, and I really do wish you well in your career..and your treatment... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • zulaikha
    Options
    Hi all

Thank you so much for the kind words it really means a lot, I think all I needed was a little push and by reading all of these lovely comments..its definitely done it..I have decided that I will go ahead..I know I will get through this. And I definitely will let everyone know how I can get on

Thanks a lot!

x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Remember we're all here for you, cheering you on and ready to commiserate on the occasions when it gets tough :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi zulaikha,

I was around your age when I was diagnosed. I am now 5 years down the line. I empathise with the worry about not knowing what the future holds. It can seem extra daunting when you are young and know that you have many years ahead of you. I try to turn that worry into a positive though. I focus on the improvements in treatments and the possibility that things can (and do!) get better.

I wish someone had told me that it's ok to grieve, it's ok to feel sad and it's ok to sometimes have a pity party. It's accepting that you'll have those moments and then you can begin to move on.

You clearly have a lot of determination and it carried you through your course, such an achievement! I assume you'll still be at college, so linking up with student services/disability services might be a good idea and speaking to your tutor (if it's someone different to your last course). Unfortunately, only you can decide if you feel able to push yourself. I don't want to tell you what to do but maybe start the course and see how it goes? If you set up some support in place before you start, hopefully you will feel more confident about your ability to cope. It sounds trite but arthritis can be unpredictable, so take it day by day.

Best of luck,
    Sophie x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    All I can add is try and pace yourself when your not at college make sure you rest as much as you can, try having little naps because sleep is your friend. If I can have a little nap between a busy day I set my alarm before I have a nap and set my alarm for 15mins before I need to leave to wake me up. And when I'm home all day I always have a siesta in the afternoon especially if I'm tired when I wake up. I hope you can work around your nail course so you can complete it.
  • zulaikha
    Options
    hey thanks for all the advice

I have spoken to my College and I have to attend a meeting with the Health Adviser and my tutor in regards if I can cope, whether they think I can cope or not the decision lies on me.

x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi and well done in the course. As a mere bloke having my nails done ain't in my to-do list but I'm sure the girls like it :? :lol:

you will learn to listen to your body. It will tell you when enough is enough and please take it's advice.

Best of luck with the second part of the course and welcome to the arthritic party :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi zulaikha,

I was 21 when I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and just starting the fourth year of my degree so I understand how hard it is to carry on trying to fulfil your ambitions when arthritis is thrown at you! You do sound like a determined young lady and have already overcome one big challenge.

It is tough sometimes but like the others say, do what you can and learn to listen to your body. Make sure you have the support from your tutors etc because these diseases are poorly understood by most people.

I wish you the best of luck with your course and lupus treatment

Xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi again Zulaihka, I just wondered how things were going.. hopefully things are good at the minute :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • zulaikha
    Options
    Hiii

So its been a while since I have not been on here and some wanted to know how I was getting on well... am getting on really well, I started college like 2 weeks ago and all I can say is am so glad am doing the course, I do get a little pain when am filling down nails but its nothing serious, is there anything i could do for my wrist? on a 5 week probation just to see how I get on

xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello again
    I am glad to see you have started the course, there are support for wrist out there, and I think it would be wise for the time being then you don't put to much pressure on the wrist..good luck with the course...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hey, well done you :D and thanks for the lovely update. I'm so pleased things are going well.

Is there anything else you can do for the wrist? Do you ever use a wrist splint? You can buy them in pharmacies but I'd emphasise only to use it for short periods. They can be quite soothing and do help ease things a bit but they're also, necessarily, a bit restrictive. If you overdo them then the muscles stop working and that only makes things worse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright