Just diagnosed.......

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I too laud your decision not to have it. I don't take pain relief before my rheumatology appointments so my consultant or rheumatology nurse gets the proper yowling feedback from yours truly as they prod the painful bits. Please let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hope everyone is okay....its sunny here in Brighton and shaping up to be a nice day, I hope!

I will and thank you :D

xxx
  • kirst74
    Options
    Two posts in one day!

Kirsty is having a pity party...... :(

So glad that I am on days off from work......
    I only went into town for coffee to meet little sister and her other half.....Have been all achy all day, but when there, I started feeling ill, (said nothing) thought okay, will be alright to go into a couple shops...felt more wobbly, like I was going to vomit or pass out, (lovely eh?, but I did not!) got taxi (pay day is not near) as could not face the bus, ate as thought it may be that, oh no still felt rubbish.....now I am waiting for Naproxen to kick in, forgot to take Omeprazole today, stomach sore as well.....feel too tired to sleep if that makes sense! I do not tend to use the forum to moan, but this once I will!
    :lol:
    Kirstyx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Go ahead, Kirsty. Whatever helps.

This sounds like a virus. How are you today?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Kirsty,

It's not long since I joined the forum, and I've only just got round to reading this thread. First of all, I do hope you're feeling better today. Secondly, the days after a first rheumatology appointment,and the wait for scans etc bring with them a whole raft of emotions and anxieties, and you have the worry about your mother too.

I can only echo what others have said, but would add try to be kind to yourself and rest when you can - your body is telling you it needs it.

Tezz x
  • kirst74
    Options
    Hope everyone is okay, thanks for the kind replies,
    I woke after 4 hours sleep, but went back to bed and that seems to have sorted me out.
    Working the next 2, working shifts wipes me out, but then have annual leave booked, which has come at the best time! 12 whole days!!!!!!!!!

Kirsty xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hope the leave will help but please don't push yourself too far. Even play is tiring :)
    Steven Wright
  • kirst74
    Options
    Hi, hope everyone is okay..........One more day of leave left then back to work!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just received the letter from Rhumatologist summarising the appointment. "Likely sero negative inflammatory arthritis" Both hands, knees, wrists, shoulders affected........... :( oh yes and feet..................
    He has suggested Arocxia as anti inflammatory...has anyone else taken this medication? any side effects? (am taking stomach protector already)
    Does it help?...(Naproxen makes me feel tired and dizzy) I work night shifts as a nurse, so have to have my wits about me.
    I have also got dates for Nerve test and MRI both this month (for hands) before next seeing the Rheumy. Will discuss disease modifying drugs then.......wanted to get those tests as well as x-rays and latest bloods out of the way.
    I am due to have my bathroom ripped out and replaced.....I do not know what the future will hold, or for any certainty if anything will get worse, but things have progressed so fast. Any suggestions to make life easier?

The day that I cannot shave my legs is a horror indeed..................................... :lol::lol::lol:
  • kirst74
    Options
    Oh yes, forgot to mention Raynauds phenomenon and possible carpal tunnel...............how did all that happen?? :shock:
    xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How did it all happen? It's called life and its side-effects (which affect a select group of individuals :wink: ) I have a sero-negative arthritis (psoriatic) plus OA but have not taken arcoxia. My practice with side-effects leaflets is to read them once then put them away - one man's miracle med is another's poison so we cannot tell you how it will be for you. From the sound of things the sooner you get onto the DMARDs the better so I hope that will soon be sorted out.

I had a double carpal tunnel op in November 2012 - now that was fun! :lol: Good luck with the bathroom, domestic upheaval is never good while it lasts. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Does arcoxia help? Like all meds it helps some more than others. It's one of the Cox2 inhibitors. They're not supposed to affect the stomach as other NSAIDS do but note I write 'supposed' :roll: I've never taken them as ordinary NSAIDS did for my stomach before the Coc2s appeared but, if you start a new thread, I'm sure some who do take it will turn up to give their experiences. I usually read side-effects leaflets and, unless I discover I have something that makes me exceptionally prone to a side-effect, I then forget about them. One can think oneself into these things.

None of us knows what the future will hold. When people are very healthy they have an illusion about how their lives will progress. Not so us. We know it's all in the lap of the gods so we must enjoy what we have before it gets worse :lol:

Good luck with the bathroom. I don't envy you. As for suggestions for making life easier – see the thread above...Ideas to make life easier.
    Steven Wright
  • kirst74
    Options
    Thanks for replies....

xxxxx :)
  • East2West
    East2West Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Sorry this is a delayed response to your original post. I wanted to say Hi as I'm in a similar position to you having been diagnosed with OA of the hip a few months ago - in the middle of training for my first 10k and Half Marathon! To say I was shocked (& very scared!) does not begin to explain how I felt. I also felt quite alone not having anyone to share this with apart from my wonderful partner. Unfortunately no one can tells us how bad things will get or what's around the corner. What we do know is that things will get worse at some stage (I think it has in my case but unsure if that makes sense). I'm hoping to understand more with my upcoming hospital appointments over the next few months in particular my very short running career :cry: Life does seem very unfair at times.....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again kirst74, how has the return to work gone? I hope you've been OK and not struggled too much. DD
  • kirst74
    Options
    Hi, hope everyone is okay, :)
    East2west - Yes it is scary, when all seemed healthy and okay then not so much! Visions and thoughts of what ifs can overwhelm, if anything, all of this has made me more determined in a way and I'm learning to be thankful, despite how quickly things have deteriorated, that I can function well, though tears have been shed. Sorry about your running. When it's a passion yes, unfair indeed, but hope that you can get answers soon. Let me know how you get on. DD- hope you okay too, yes back at work and busy as always! Sore and achy throughout, but my workmates are supportive, so that's good, though I don't bring the subject up first as I realise people soon get bored. Kirstyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Arthritis is a boring illness, it's boring to live with and talk about (apart from on here where the audience is much better informed). I never bring it up in conversation because none of my friends has a clue, when they ask how things are I reply 'Things could be better, I'm glad they're not worse, let's talk about something interesting.'

Take it as steadily as you can at work, rest whenever possible and make sure you don't overdo things at home, our bodies need time to recuperate after efforts and strains. A good description of how things are for us is contained in The Spoon Theory (easily found on-line). If you haven't read it please do, it may help those around you understand things better. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a week on now, how's things? DD
  • kirst74
    Options
    Hi DD, hope you are okay.
    Been working hard....on my 4th night shift out of 5 this week and a extra hour tonight too!! My feet and toes are sore and it's annoying. Hyper sleep pending as usual on day off. Remained on the same anti inflammatory after all that! As GP wasn't willing to prescribe arcoxia as said only if naproxen stops being affective so I agreed for time being.
    Have been for nerve test for hands, that was err interesting as I had to get a train (cancelled as work on line in London as usual, so it was a replacement bus) on a Sunday morning to get test by 9am ha, I did! and MRI for them too 31st of this month, but luckily in my local hospital!
    So I ache still, (which likes to travel) am constantly tired, apprehensive about next Rhumatologist meeting 18th Nov, medicate or not to medicate? And review of all the latest round of xrays etc.....so I grin and bear it....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I don't do OK any more, I have learned to limit my aspirations to the giddy heights of moderately grotty. :lol: They are a little way off at the moment thanks to my injecting twice last week - within two hours of the second one the infection I thought had gone promptly reared its nasty little head. The ache / pain/tiredness? Yup, I know them all very well, but hopefully, once you begin some stronger meds yours will be eased far more than mine.

I remember the nerve conduction tests I had - I promptly burst into tears and cried all the way through :oops: . I ended up having a double carpal tunnel which sorted everything out on that front so that was good (and an interesting time in our marriage!)

I think we have just under a month before your rheumatology appointment, don't build your hopes up too high about what this might reveal (diagnosis can be a tricky area and take some time) but I would advise you to keep a short diary until then, noting pain levels, what's hurting where, what makes things worse or eases matters, tiredness levels, sleep quality etc. so the rheumatologist can get a broader picture of just how you are being affected. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    So, a bit of a mixed bag. I hope the rest time helps. I'm just a tad anxious about that phrase 'medicate or not to medicate'. For my money, if the rheumatologist says medicate you go with it. Why make life harder than it has to be? Good luck :)
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Kirst,

I`m sorry things are still tough for you, and you are still facing more appointments - they tend to pile up. DD suggests keeping a diary, which is a very good thing to do. I would make a list of questions too, as if you`re anything like me you`ll be halfway home wishing you`d though to ask this, that or the other!

My rheumy once prescribed Arcoxia for me, but my GP said he wasn`t happy about it. He changed me to Naproxen, which has been OK for me.

Good luck with your appointments,

Tezz x
  • kirst74
    Options
    Thanks all, for the advice and support..... :)
    Will probably start a new thread soon.....
    Just worked a night shift last night and feel wiped, ...as was also aching all night and have had no sleep today. Wrists joined in this time. Feel hormonal and sad too. :(
    The reason I said about medicating or not, is really about my increasing anxiety about it all. As things have steadily deteriorated and fast and I just want to get some form of treatment if that is appropriate. I understand that I simply will not know till I get to the appointment. (It has taken 6 months since the first GP appointment till now)
    The anxiety too is about a 20 year nursing career potentially becoming affected and that breaks my heart.
    I do not know what the future will hold, but I am mostly positive. If anything, this whole thing has made me more determined to live and appreciate it.

Yes the diary is a great idea...good thing I have just bought a pretty notebook. Funny, my mum said the same thing too a few days ago!

Kirstyxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Your worries are very natural and normal but - yes, you guessed it :roll: - try not to as arthritis thrives on stress. One day at a times and let's hope the appointment brings some answers and a way forward.
    Steven Wright