Dicky hands and hair-washing.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Aug 2014, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know that quite a few of us on here struggle with hands which are not willing to work as they should - I have difficulties with toothpaste tubes, shampoo containers, body lotion bottles etc. but I have solved the shampoo trouble.

I went to our local branch of the shop which has a name like the Welsh word for something lovely, it sells hand-made soaps, bath bombs and the like. They do a range of solid shampoos (discs a little larger and thicker than a jammy dodger) which you rub around the top of your head twice then set to work. The lather is lovely and soft and no parabens or any other sort of chemical is involved in their constitution. On the day I went I mentioned that my hair is thinning thanks to meth and they recommended I tried the cinnamon-based one because that promotes hair growth (sucker thy name is Daisy) but I have to report a small improvement. :oops: It maybe because I am not rubbing my hair as hard due to the nature of the shampoo but there again it may not.

If you do struggle with hair washing then I recommend these, they last for ages (if you don't keep them in a soggy dish, you need one that allows the disc to drain), they smell lovely and my hair is improving. If you want any further details feel free to PM me. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It sounds rather lovely - and practical too.

I have my own shampooer. It's a bit pot luck. Some days I get loads of shampoo but it's not necessarily well rubbed in. Some days I get sprayed all over. Variety is the spice of life :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    What a good idea thanks DD..I like the idea of no parabins...we have enough chemicals in our blood :roll: I will ask my GD to look out for these she shops there and love it :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thanks for that DD I wonder if it would work on my hair, I have Androgenetic Alopecia x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I know the shop you mean. I love it and its products. I have my OH trained now to go in at Christmas with a list of the things I like which he then gives to tbe assistant to sort out. Can thoroughly reccomend and the bath thing they do wrapped in muslin with oats is wonderful for dry skin, you can make it last a few baths or be really indulgent.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Villier, I have no idea but my suspicion would be that it must be easier and kinder on both the hair and scalp: it's daft isn't it? We spend a shed load of money on stuff which is, essentially, dead. I read the ingredients on the back of my current commercial shampoo (I'd never bothered before) and wondered why I'd bought it. :roll:

Slosh, that sounds like a plan! Mr DD wouldn't have a clue and would be huffy at the presentation of a list but he enjoys the bath bombs I buy for him.

Barbara, if you ever get the chance then visit - you can scent the shop from a mile off due to the pungent (yet gentle) aromas that emanate from within. Their soaps are lovely compared to the mass-produced stuff.

Sticky, I can't answer that: Mr DD has washed my hair occasionally and I can empathise with the lack-of or over-lathering experience but with these things you cannot go wrong. I think you live in a soft-water area? One swipe would be enough. I reckon one disc would last you at least nine months. :shock:

My masseuse rolled up today and, after hurting me beyond all reason :wink:, she went and investigated my cinnamon disc. Her verdict was she was off to town tomorrow to buy one (she peroxides her pixy-cropped hair on a very regular basis. She's 68, I hope I have that level of chutzpah if I make that age.) DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    Keep bath bombs etc in your undies drawer, makes them smell nice. I have just checked and I have half a bar left of my fav, blue skies and fluffy white clouds and after today's hospital appointment it's going to get used tonight.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • debram
    debram Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks DD I for one will give that a Try!
    Diolch!
    Thanks
    Deb x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I checked and you can buy on- line but I didn't tell Mr Mig as he said we will go into town and have a pub lunch as well,he has offered on numerous occasions to do my hair and has given a vivid description on how he would do it none of which I can put on the forum :o you can get make up and all sorts of other stuff as well and I just thought they just did smelly soap, thanks DD . Mig
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Will give a try ,,,but its the setting to work bit I can.t do!..that,s so hard for me!
    Ruby
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah, I know that feeling well, ruby2, but clean hair is one of my three essential luxuries of life (the other two being clean feet and a good scratch) so I know the feeling of 'reward' will be worth the effort.

If any of you do try this then I recommend keeping it in a soap dish that will allow the disc to drain otherwise it ends up sitting in a pool of gloop. DD
  • mig
    Options
    My daughter brought me a bar of shampoo soap ,she went into the shop spoke to one of the assistants who recommended the coconut and camomile for me and they went through the problems with my hands and squeezing bottles and the young lady cut a piece off a big block saying i think this size will suit,what service.Thank you DD. Mig
  • Slosh
    Options
    Looking forward to visiting this shop on Tuesday with my daughter. Putting together my shopping list
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Their bottles are quite thin because they are a green company. I find that so long as you leave the flip top lid not pressed shut you can use their bottles products a lot easier than others - no squeezing required. They do a shampoo in a bottle that seems to help my hair not fall out - it's called Rehab. They don't sell it for hair loss but it's helped mine! Their cleansers are pretty easy to use too because they tend to be a paste you mix with a bit of water so no cotton wool or rubbing required. There's also a bath bomb with cocoa butter in which leaves your bath a bit greasy but does a treat for an all over moisture session with no rubbing required.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • mig
    Options
    Been in the shop this morning to ask about deodorants,came out with a bar recommended by a very knowledgeable young man,love the shop love the service,thanks once again for the heads up DD.Mig
  • Slosh
    Options
    Visited a branch yesterday and was not surprised to see they had a Which award for customer service, every branch I have ever visited has friendly, knowledgeable but not pushy staff!
    As well as my favourite bath product, Blue Skies and Fluffy White Clouds, I invested in a fab shower gel, flying fox with a lovely jasmine scent. They do a matching perfume called Lust which I may need to invest in.
    Julian of Norwich