Hello ... I'm new!

Options
FelicityD
FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
edited 18. Aug 2014, 11:41 in Say Hello Archive
I just wanted to say hello. I found this site awhile back and have been browsed the forums. I have found lots of practical advice and would like some vitual support too. I hope in time I will be able to offer the same to future members.

I was recently diagnosed with early RA and had been lucky to get an appointment with a nice rheumatologist after being referred by my GP.

I've had a steroid jab which is working for now while, but I know not for long. So far no side effects from the meds. Though, my tests showed my vitamin D levels were low.

I can't remember what my rheumatologist said about it and if it really means anything to my RA.

Was wondering if anybody here knew.

Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but, if you've been browsing, I reckon you already feel as though you know us. :wink: I don't have RA, mine's PsA plus OA - my Vit.D levels were found to be lacking so I am taking a supplement and sitting outside for ten minutes or so (without sunscreen) as recommended by my rheumatologist. I know that Vit. D is essential for healthy bones, I took oral steroids for four years (I spent the fourth weaning myself off them) and my bone density has improved by 3.4% in the past three years since stopping. Steroids are helpful but they affect all body tissues, not just the manky ones.

Which meds are you taking? I am on a triple therapy but I am a few years ahead of you with my arthritis. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello Felicity and welcome aboard :) In answer to your question, I think there's some connection between RA and Vit D deficiency but I don't think they yet know what it is. Have you been prescribed Vit D? Oily fish and eggs are good sources of it. The NHS says everyone over 65 in UK should have Vit D supplements as we don't get enough sun but you should talk it over with a medic before taking any as it's also possible to take too much :roll: I doubt your rheumatologist would prescribe it. It would be the GP. Your GP will have got a report from the rheumatologist so why not make an appointment and discuss it with him or her. Then let's know how you get on :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • FelicityD
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your replies.

I've been prescribed Hydroxychloroquine, Dicloflex and MTX. I have made another appointment to see my GP. To clarify a few things. I still feel quite overwheled by it all. I always have so many question to ask after I leave the GPs surgery! My mind goes blank when I'm there.

I've started to write down my questions, so, I will feel more in control of my next appointment.

Been enjoyingt he sunshine too. VitD was one of the topics I will be discussing at my next appointment.

Will let you know how I get on.

F
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I , too, take methotrexate and hydroxy and get on well with them.

Be careful in the sun. I know the Vit D is good but those of us on methatrexate have to be careful not to overdo it. Use sunscreen or you could get the nasty 'meth rash'. I always sit in the shade and use a high factor screen when I have to be out in it.

Good plan for the GP. I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello FelicityD
    And a warm welcome from me, I do know that Vit D helps your body absorb calcium..so it is vital for the joints..good luck with your GP and I hope to see you around the forum...
    Love
    Barbara
  • FelicityD
    Options
    Thanks SW. That's what is so great about communities such as this. Snippets of advice that is invaluable to a newbie like me. Will be mindful not to end with a 'meth rash'.

Thanks Barbara for the warm welcome. Will try to post an update following my GP's visit.
  • Cyberwoman
    Cyberwoman Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, it looks as though we are starting the journey at the same time. I find the diagnosis scary too, especially if I think of the future. But I'm resolved to be positive, even though that's difficult when you feel so rough!
  • FelicityD
    Options
    Here Here Cyberwoman!