I walked (unaided!) across the stage.

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 23. Jul 2014, 14:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Some months ago, I had a meeting with my head of year at university and we discussed if I should defer my academic submissions. At the time, my stomach condition was undiagnosed; I was ill and I was tired. I went away and thought about it. I met with her again, with fire in my belly, and said that I would definitely be handing in my academic work on time so I could walk across the stage on 16th July. And what's more, I told her, I will be walking across that stage without my stick.

True to my word, today I did exactly that. I got a big hug and kiss from her as she recalled our earlier conversation. I may have wiped away a stray tear or two and I may have had a lovely student helper hand me my stick as I exited the stage but I walked across it unaided. I didn't stumble or trip or fall, although my mortar board did fall off my head. :lol:

Today was a big milestone for me and I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me get this far. When I imagined donning my cap and gown, I thought it would be a celebration of the end but, as it turns out, this is only just the beginning.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's wonderful. You must be so proud and with very good reason. Now take a day to rest on those well earnt laurels.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done, Sophie, you set your target and achieved it. ((( ))) Mortar boards are tricky things :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    That is very moving and uplifting to read, Starburst. You must feel very proud of yourself. It is amazing what determination and being positive can do. Congratulations. :-D It is indeed the start of something new and I wish you all the very best for the future. You are a star.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    We are all so proud of you,three cheers hip hip hooray ,hip hip hooray ,hip hip hooray. Mig
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm so proud of you Sophie! Good for you. I bet it was amazing to know you have got that far. You must have a huge smile on your face knowing what you have done and now take that positivity to the next stage.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sophie you are an inspiration especially to young people that have to cope with disabilities..I am very very proud of you ..I do wish you well for the future.. g015.gif xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    And this is the woman who insists she's not Superwoman :roll: :lol:

Well done, Sophie! Stick that one in the memory bank's photo album – with or without the mortar board :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Well done Sophie, what a remarkable young lady you are, you should be so proud of yourself, I'm sure your feet didn't touch the ground, good luck for your future i'm sure you wont need it.....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    You are truly remarkable. I hope you are deeply deeply proud. You did this all by yourself with a strength and determination that wows the world. Enjoy your next step forward, this is just the beginning and it just keeps getting better. Superstarsuperwoman xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. Funnily enough, I did feel like I was wearing a cape with the gown on and had a brief moment of; maybe I am superwoman after all. :lol: Sadly, I had to return the cape!

Next big task; new job starting Monday week. Bring it on. :wink:
  • Slosh
    Options
    Good luck with the job. Be sure to let us know how it goes. Do they know to expect Superwoman?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They may not be expecting her, Slosh, but they'll get her. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    And they don't know how lucky they are
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Options
    If my head gets any bigger, I won't be able to get through the doors. :lol:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Of course you will Sophie remember you are superwoman :D xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Starburst wrote:

Ah that'll be why your mortar board fell off :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Well done, you are an inspiration to us all, but especially to the young members. It proves you can carry on and live your life even when you're not feeling at your best.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Perhaps door enlargement could be classed as a reasonable adjustment!
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Options
    Starburst wrote:

Ah that'll be why your mortar board fell off :wink:

Or perhaps because I did not measure my head correctly and refused to use hair grips to secure the cap as it would ruin my blow dried curls. :wink::D
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Ah well done, what a fantastic achievement!

** 2 fingers up to arthritis ** :lol: