Healthcare at home

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 19. Jul 2014, 15:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Healthcare at home have been in contact to arrange delivery of my new medication to arrive first thing tomorrow morning after being sent the prescription by my doctor Monday this week asking for it to be processed ASAP. I can't say I've ever had any problems with HAH like a lot of you have had on here, maybe its a postcode lottery? Or maybe its because they had my details from when I used to take Enbrel/Humira? Who knows. Finger crossed it will turn up tomorrow and I can finally begin my new medication.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hope it arrives. And helps :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, there's still time for it to go wrong. :wink: Seriously, I hope it turns up as promised and, once you're on it, it helps. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    Options
    Well there has already been one complication.... they don't want me to take it until I have a home visit from a nurse, 4 weeks from now.

I think I'm just going to be naughty and take it...I know how to inject and told them I don't need needle training but they insist that the hospital has requested I need it so they must come.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I was just going to say glad you are not having trouble with them delivering your meds..then I read they don,t want you to take it yet... :o hope they get back to you very soon and good luck I hope its works well for you
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    Options
    Well guess what......

The pen arrived and it doesn't work, just my luck! I have followed the instructions and after a lengthy call to HaH they have decided the spring in the pen is broken and I will have to wait until Monday for another delivery. Apparently this is a common problem with the Simponi pens and they are awaiting a delivery of a revised version which will fix the problem.

Anyone else ever had a pen that fails to release the needle on pressing the button? It really isn't a nice feeling waiting and waiting to be stabbed after pressing the button multiple times for nothing to happen.

Oh well round 2 Monday, hopefully this will be my last pen injection when the hospital finally swap my prescription over to the syringe version!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my four (nearly five) years of Humira I've had just the one faulty pen. It happens, anything mechanical is prone to faults, much like us. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I must be lucky - I've never had any trouble with HAH. Having said that, I got a letter saying my deliveries were going to be sent via Pharmaxo in future (who already have a pharmacy at my local hospital).

When the first delivery came, it was in a huge cardboard box. Inside it were 2 bags of polystyrene jelly babies, about 100 in each, plus 3 ice packs. What a terrible waste! Presumably the vans aren't refrigerated.

I'm going to send an email to them to see if they'll take all the packaging back. Surely it makes sense to recycle it all. As for the ice packs - they've been doubling up to cool down my feet!
  • As5567
    Options
    That does sound like an awful lot of waste, especially if you consider they deliver possibly 50+ items per day 5 days per week.

My 1 injection came in just a grey plastic postage bag and was presumably kept cold in the van it arrive with. The van had no writing on it so I assume it was delivers by HaH as I've not been told they are outsourcing my delivery to any other company yet.
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    In my four (nearly five) years of Humira I've had just the one faulty pen. It happens, anything mechanical is prone to faults, much like us. :wink: DD
    I also though it was strange at first, but it seems that even the official Sumponi website has a little notice on their home page saying how they are changing the pen slightly over the new few months. The only way to know if you have a new pen is by a different colour cap. The Simponi pen really doesn't give me any confidence compared to the Humira pen. From what I remember you had to click down on the Humira pen, with the simponi pen you have to squeeze the pen to release the needle while pressing down on your skin. And not to mention it's huge and makes it look like it's a larger injection than it is.

I was meant to have the Syringe version but its not as simple as asking HaH, a nurse/doctor at my hospital has to change the prescription. Even though when answering questions a few weeks ago I specifically requested the manual version.

Hopefully it will turn up by 12 on Monday and I can get this medication into my body.......and hopefully begin to feel some sort of result within a few days. Optimistic I know but from experience while in a very bad flare Biologics have worked really quickly for me to lesson the symptoms enough to the point I can just cope and get on with my daily things as normal.