What a thunderstorm!

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 20. Jul 2014, 10:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
We were 'treated' to a peach of a thunderstorm at 4.15 this morning. The lightning was bright yellow and the noise terrifying, especially when one clap broke directly overhead: the house shook.

So did I. :D

The plus is that the air here this morning is much fresher - not much cooler but fresher. I think we may have one or two more today, I don't enjoy them but needs must. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Here too DD

But much-needed!

Still precipitating nicely here too :?

love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    We just had one clap of thunder and that was it ,what a let down but its been raining steadily since so its cooled down. Mig
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    I love thunder storms , nature never ceases to amaze me . Unfortunately my dog and cat are now neurotic , nervous wrecks !
    mamasmurf
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    We had rain but no thunder thank goodness ,it terrifies me the lightning more that the bangs.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Be prepared

You can follow the track of lightning storms live on the internet. :D
    Helpful if you keep pets frightened by thunder.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Mod B
  • mig
    Options
    thanks for that mod b ,just had a look really cool. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh thankyou mods..it will give me time to get my earplugs and eye mask out.. :oops: :lol:how clever just 4 seconds delay in us seeing the lightning.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Thanks Mod B. I'm always being asked by my Son when and where will the thunder storms strike. He is terrified.

DD we had our almighty storm the night before but just a few light rumbles last night.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Thank you kind moderator
    very interesting
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    None here in Yorks but some terrific pics from elsewhere in the BBC website.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Thanks Mod for that site! I'm mega addicted to it driving OH mad now by shouting out where the strikes are coming from. :lol: We had the huge electric storm early hours of Friday morning and we had the more mellow one early hours of this morning been some amazing lightening, horizontal & vertical strikes. It was a golden colour as you said DD. We have been having some heavy showers since after the storm and it hasn't stopped yet. Rugrats are really fed up and they didn't like the storms!!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Thanks Mods
    Really interesting.
    We haven't had any yet......it is chucking it down with rain at the moment {just started} so no doubt it will come our way LOL
    {North East}
    Love
    Hileena
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Useful site Mod B , thank you .
    mamasmurf
  • mig
    Options
    Track a storm coming from the south just skirted round us ,cool site but then I have the sky map on when we are flying. Mig
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Here in this corner of Kent about 8pm on Friday night it was splendid but at the same time worrying. This cloud rolled towards us, the wind increased and it got darker by the second. Almost like a total eclipse. My OH got some photos and we looked it up on the good old internet and it appears we had a 'shelf cloud' over us. It literally went over our bungalow and we had to quickly get the windows shut back and front, retreat and sit it out.

My neighbour wasn't so lucky. She took her little dog Sophie out (miniature daschund but thinks she's a rottweiler!) just before, got back with the dog who she took indoors, and then had to get her car windows shut. Whilst she was doing this, the wind nearly took her walking stick out of her hands - she'd have lost it if she hadn't had such a tght grip apparently. She then went back in to be greeted by a terrified dog who was desperately trying to get out as she was trying to get in.

When Maureen (our neighbour) got into her lounge she realised why the dog was so terrified. The wind had gone through her open front lounge windows, upturned a dining chair, that had taken plates and other stuff with it that had been on the edge of an adjacent table. Ornaments were smashed and her kitchen floor was smothered with leaves. It turned out her back windows were open so she had her own mini tsunami go through her little bungalow poor soul. She said it looked like she'd been burgled and as she's ex-Police I trust her assessment on this.

We'd not seen anything like this here in Kent ever. Nature is wonderful at times.

The early hours of Saturday we had lightening strike after strike; Saturday more thundery showers and now very humid and today - well it absolutely tipped it down at lunch time and the road became a river.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!