Tonight, Daisy will mostly be going out.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 20. Jul 2014, 10:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
A friend rang at 10.00 this morning, with the information that she had booked a table for six at one of our local pubs so would the DDs like to join in? I consulted with a very tired (plus hot) Mr DD who said 'If you want to go, Wife, then we will.' On the enthusiasm scale it reached about minus 8. :|

I rang her back and said yes. :D The other four people are our oldest friends, the only non-family guests at our very small wedding in 1997, and we haven't seen them all since March. My preparations for a night out swung into action.

I took two cocos at around 11.30, and then another two at 17.00 - this will give me leeway for a further pair around 22.00 or later. I abandoned the ironing and cleaning the bathroom (having cleaned the kitchen) and I rested all afternoon (including a delightful snooze). I admit that this week has been a tough one physically (thanks to the extreme heat and the constant presence of a bathroom fitter) and my joints have been foul but I would like to get out of the house and see our friends. I am now feeling a little refreshed and a little excited. Mr DD is sound asleep on our bed so hopefully he will wake feeling brighter. I have little doubt that tomorrow will be another quiet day but I don't care - it is important to stay in touch with people, that's the important thing, yes?

DD is off out to paint a small part of the town a pale shade of red: get in! :P
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope the pub has air conditioning. Have a lovely time DD, you deserve it after the week you've had.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    You let your hair down girl,live for tonite tomorrow can take care of itself. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Mostly :o Which bits are you planning on leaving at home :? It can't be the arthritic bits as they hold all the rest of you together.

Have a lovely time, DD. Impromptu times with old friends can be some of the best times ever. Go for it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Have a great time, DD. Go for it!

Meg
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely evening DD.
    Christine
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Have a lovely time out with your friends my dearest. We have been to our friends this afternoon till around nine. Had a Chinese delivered and set the world to rights. :wink: lol
    I couldn't stay much longer as my joints are not being friendly at the minute. Janet was extremely tired too so we left to come home to bed. I'm sore and exhausted but had a good time with good friends. It's important.

Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Great news, enjoy! Take it easy tomorrow as planned. I always plan a recovery day after going out. Hope it's worth it. ;) x
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Hope you both had a good time
    Fortuna
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope you had a lovely time and are not paying the consequences today xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It was fabulous, very hot (no air-con) but we all picked up where we had left off and carried on as normal (which was probably somewhat irritating to others in the bar :wink: ).

I drove and so limited myself to six pints - two of Topaz Gold and four of water, all consumed over three hours, so my pale red painting became no more than a hint-of-pink. I took a fan which provided cooling air for me (they're old enough to think for themselves) and I had a fabulous dinner, trout fillets on a Mediterranean salad with new potatoes. I stopped laughing long enough to eat and then carried on as before. One of the highlights of the evening proved to be Mr DD saying that he'd chucked his old golf clubs in the skip before we moved because he hadn't used them for years and reckoned they cluttered the place, but then admitted he'd kept his golf bag, balls, tees, pitch markers, towels and golf shoes. Nigel pointed out that he might as well have kept the clubs seeing as how they would still have been in the bag and thus not really adding to clutter.

I seized briefly when it came to driving home but a quick lurch round the bar sorted that. It was pouring with rain on the way back and we were drenched getting from Bea in to the house - Mr DD very tenderly towel-dried my hair (he too had consumed six pints but of TG plus a Caribbean chicken curry).

This morning things are not too bad - I won't push my luck though, the ironing etc. can wait another day. Only six cocos were involved in the entire proceedings so that's not too bad. I am shortly going into town (with or without Husband, I don't mind either way) because I fancy lunch out (and it's very short drive). I could get used to the high life. :wink:

Whatever you were doing last night I hope you had as pleasant a time as me. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So glad to hear you had a good time. Enjoy your lunch.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Pleased to see you had a great night and not too much pay back today, hope you have a lovely lunch..........way to go...........................good on ya DD xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Woo hoo! It turned out every bit as well as I'd hoped :D

Thanks for the good news, DD. Living With Arthritis isn't all doom and gloom and it does teach us to make the very most of the good times. I hope today's lunch goes well too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,945
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm glad you enjoyed your evening out. you needed that to help after all your struggles and pain.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Glad you had a good time. Hope you enjoyed lunch today too.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We did, or rather I did. Some retail therapy came first (which was fun but a little curtailed by the presence of a bored husband) then lunch in a brasserie which I thoroughly enjoyed. We are now home and rumber is thunderling around (honestly, that's how I thought of it so why change it? :lol: )

Sticky, you make a very valid point. We may have to prepare and / or alter what we do and how we do it but we shouldn't let arthritis stop us from doing things that we enjoy. I will be researching mobility scooters in the near future to enable me to do more - I think that's a better way to look at it rather than thinking I need one because I am able to do less.

Feet up and the golf now beckons . . . . Mr DD is already asleep on the long sofa. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD,

What a lovely post! I'm so pleased you 'bit the bullet' and went for it.

It sounds like you had a lovely relaxing time with good friends and - as an added bonus - no washing up or preparation. Way to go girl! :D

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!