Meth injection

Options
tenbury
tenbury Member Posts: 52
edited 4. Aug 2014, 04:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone give me advise on how is the best way to inject meth, I find it quite painful and hate doing it as I imagine we all do, but is there an easier way to do it, is it better to put the liquid in fast or slow, should I pinch the skin up or leave it flat, Thankyou for any suggestions ..

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't mind it now, I found it odd at first. How long have you been injecting for? I think your technique and confidence grow over time (as with most things).

My way, as taught by my lovely nurse is at least 5cm away from the belly button (alternating each side each week), sitting on the side of the bed after my shower so I am warm and relaxed, pinch a small bit of skin, needle carefully and slowly (shaky rubbish hands permitting) in, plunge slowly, pull out slowly. I used to struggle with the needle in, move hand to plunger bit but that seems to have developed over time. Slow and steady is the key for me.

Hope that helps.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I too inject in my stomach because it has fewer nerve endings. I pinch the skin and get it over and done. :wink: If I need to inject in my thigh then I sit on my bed, with my legs out straight (but supported on a pillow) because this relaxes the skin; if you do it sitting or standing then your muscles are working and that can make it more painful.

I've been doing meth and humira for five years now, some jabs hurt, others don't, sometimes I bruise and other times not. It doesn't take long though. One of my rheumatology nurses is on injected meth, she would happily stab us but it could take her up to two hours to psych herself up to do hers. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    When I was on the injections i always used to do it either side of
    my tummy each week.

I never used to look when doing it and I hated doing it (particulay when I have a fear of needles).

It does get better the more times you do it though.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I was given a chart, right abdomen, left abdomen, right thigh, left thigh, and I would mark off each week which one I'd used. I preferred the thigh as I used to get bruises on my stomach, but I alternated each injection point. I was told "pinch an inch" and was surprised how easy it was. Hope you get on ok. x

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• tenbury
    Options
    Thank you all so very much I have been doing it wrong all along, I always rush it and push it in fast then press the liquid fast , last week I pulled the needle out quite fast and had quite a bit of bleeding And this hasn't happened before, someone told me that they jab the needle all around the area they intend to inject and they come to a spot where they can't feel anything , and that is where they inject, haven't tried that yet.
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I've been injecting Humira and then Enbrel for about 8 years now. Mostly it doesn't hurt, but occasionally stings. I alternate on the right and left of my abdomen.

It gets easier with time and it's just another medicine now.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I have not been injectiong meth that long but have no problems whatsoever.
    I pinch a good wedge of tummy skin, stick the needle straight in but then I release the hold I have on the skin before pressing the plunger, my nurse told me that is the way she does hers and it works well for me.... I too alternate sides and occasionally use the thighs. Sometimes I bruise and sometimes I don't.

Best of luck with them..

Let us know how you get on with them :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't tap all around a prospective area because that will increase the risk of infection due to a dirty needle (we are not as clean as we like to think :wink: ). If it hurts rub your chosen area first with an ice cube - that can provide a little local numbing. I guess that because you dislike doing it, you want it over and done a.s.a.p. but never, ever rush. If you slow down you will find it goes better and quicker. Of course it's not fun, it is a little unpleasant but tension makes it a worse experience than needs be. Next time you're due to do it imagine us in there with you, wishing you well. DD
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    The main tip I can give you is to just relax and take your time. I usually just insert the needle quickly and then inject the liquid at a slow pace because that way I personally feel less pain. I was also told to not take the needle out straight after the injection has finished and to leave it there for a further 2-3 seconds to allow the liquid to absorb more so you don't lose any of the dose.

As for trying to find a pain free spot, I'd think you are probably going to feel more pain poking around trying to feel a spot which doesn't hurt than getting it over and done with in 1 go. And as the others have said its probably not very hygienic which could cause an infection in the injection sight, which is something none of us want.
  • tenbury
    Options
    Hello again, just spent half an hour writing to you all and then it vanished dam it ...anyway tonight I did my injection and found it much easier after reading all your posts on the best way to do it, so many thanks for all your advice I feel more positive now. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good, that is sounding more positive, Tenbury, maybe print the thread and keep it handy for further reference? I'm doing mine after breakfast. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Really glad the advice helped.
    Mine is tomorrow afternoon so no synchronised jabbing for us DD :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tenbury
    Options
    Good advise DD I'll print it off so I can look at it every week till I get it spot on. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah. :oops: I suspect there's no such thing as 'spot on' but hopefully our advice will help you cope better with the rougher times because they will occur. :( In my experience the 'betters' outnumber the 'worsers' but I don't know which it will be until the day after the injection. :wink: Hopefully I haven't raised your hopes too high :oops: but if I have then I apologise. DD
  • tenbury
    Options
    Hi DD, don't worry you haven't raised my hopes at all , I know I will have good days and bad I will just go with the flow no choice really, it's only once a week so I can cope, just hate having to do it , and then I think what about those poor people who had RA years ago when there was no such drug as Meth and the rest, how awful it must have been those days.
    Take care DD, and Thankyou for all your invaluable advise on here.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's still awful in these days. :wink: I've had years of dealing with this malarkey and yes, sometimes it's easier and sometimes harder. I go through my rebellious phase every now and again where I wonder why I bother when the damage is already done but then reason with myself that because further damage is being slowed then I must carry on. This week was a two-jabs one for me but they're done and dusted - and my mobility is briefly improved so that is a good thing. I'm glad we were able to help, that's what the forum is about. I hope you have a pleasant weekend. DD
  • Scarlet
    Scarlet Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I just came across this and found it really useful - I have a nurse coming monday morning to show me how to inject. I am a little nervous but looking forward to finally starting the injections. Will keep all your tips in mind :-)
  • Afc
    Afc Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has started on the new pen yet, but I hands down prefer it to the old injection.
    I don't know why but when I went to take my first injection with the pen I developed a sudden fear of needles (maybe just the fact it was a new device I wasn't sure of - i hate change) and just for the life of me could not press the button. Took me nearly 2 hours to work up the courage to do it for some reason even though I was ok using the old injection...but got there in the end with much coaxing and support from the other half, and I'm quite confident in using it now. The initial fear is awful but it gets easier.

I find the pen stings less than the old injection, maybe because it goes in quite fast and its over so quickly. I don't know if the pen is just for certain doses but its always worth asking about if it would help : )
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    There are one or two former threads on the topic of pens v needles. I don't use either but I think more prefer needles.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright