Newly diagnosed with RA - very scared and confused

Beautifulmovement
Beautifulmovement Member Posts: 2
edited 31. Jul 2014, 03:02 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have never really used a forum but I am looking for a community who can help and support me on this journey.
I was diagnosed with RA only last week and it's come as a shock The doctor immediately thrust medication at me but I told them I would like some time to think things over and let it sink in.
I am pretty scared at the prospect of taking medication for the rest of my life, and being only 33, how this condition and the drugs will affect my future.
The doctors are prescribing Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine, does anyone else take this combination of drugs?
Methotrexate sounds horrendous!
Any advice or support is greatly appreciated as I don't know anyone else going through the same thing I am.

Thanks
Sabrina

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Sabrina and welcome.

I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I have done for about 14 years and, arthritically speaking, they've probably been the best of my life. Most people find DMARDS scary at first but, what they fail to take into account is the other side of the scales ie the effects of untreated RA. Mine was dealt with by just anti-inflammatories, pain relief and the odd course of steroids for the first 10 years or so. As a result, osteo set in too and I now have RA and OA in virtually every joint.

Don't get me wrong. I've still had a good life but it'd have been much better for the arthritis if I'd been on 'proper meds' from the start.

What we all have to remember is that we are extremely well monitored while on these meds (Never miss a blood test. They will pick up problems very early on). Also, as manufacturers are bound to list any potential side-effects, most people having the more drastic ones will be old, with other medical conditions and taking other medication for them.

Why not give our Helpline people a call? They can't offer medical advice but they will give you the time and opportunity to talk about all your fears. Also, you could join us on Living With Arthritis. Many of us take meth and / or hydroxy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am so sorry that you have had to find us. I have another form of an auto-immune arthritis and because that went undiagnosed for five years once I began the meds it was too little too late. The quicker one is diagnosed (and the faster one begins the meds) then the better the future outcome.

I guess from the tenor of your post that you have not had that much to do with doctors and ill health, yes? I've been taking medical drugs since I was eleven or so (I'm now 55) so anything new doesn't bother me at all. I am on injected meth (have been for four or five years now) and I can truly say that I don't get much at all in the way of side-effects from that or any other of my meds. For one or two on here meth alone does the job very nicely (so nicely they no longer post) and I hope you will be included in that number.

It is important to take the medications which are offered - if not then joint damage sets in, joints can become mis-shapen and osteoarthritis may join the party. Like Sticky I have an arthritic foot in both camps and I see that when I go to rheumatology now the majority of patients are not on crutches (I am) and that they do not have much in the way of joint deformities - when I first went there in 2001 it was a very different story so it shows how the medical practices and treatments have moved on. I have to go now, I'll be back later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Cyberwoman
    Cyberwoman Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I was diagnosed today so I know how you feel. I was also started on the same drugs, actually the methotrexate in 2 weeks, consultant wants me to see the nurse first. Had 2 injections 80mgs each one into each buttock while I was there too. The consultant was really nice, explained everything.
    Had X-rays of hands and feet and chest. Need the chest one before you start meth. I aim to keep positive. Just pleased it's diagnosed. Although I only had to wait 10 days from GP referral to appt today.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello cyberwoman and welcome to you too :) It seems you've had an unusually swift diagnosis and treatment. That's very good for your arthritis but probably quite a shock and steep learning curve for you. I hope all goes well. Remember we are always here for info and support :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • East2West
    East2West Member Posts: 8
    Hi

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I recently had the good news of being diagnosed with OA in hips. I'm a bit older than you, in my early 40s however I don't feel "old" at all. I think my biggest shock is seeing all the "arthritis models" in the articles that I've read - they're all older, with grey hair etc. the very sad thing is that you never think it can happen to you until it does :x

I hope you're ok and you're getting your head around things. Take care. X