Back to work, just about!

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 23. Jul 2014, 09:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I am officially back at work even if it is only for four hours a day and only until Wednesday when school finishes for the summer break.
Good things, the welcome I got from staff and pupils
My head getting ready to order the equipment from my Access to work assessment
A suitable height adjustable desk being ordered for me
Getting to use my brain, and being given a challenge of an area that needs addressing next term.
Getting through the morning.

Not so good...
The payback this afternoon. Spent time in bed and I have had to resort to putting my collar back on for a while to try and get some relief. Worst pain for a long time.

Plan is to complete the week, such as it is and then go back to my GP and see if there is anything I can take in terms of back up pain relief for when a boost is needed.

Still it was great to say "See you tomorrow" when I left.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You did it and that is a good thing. Of course it will be a large adjustment after the time off you have had but at least you only have a few days to go before the blessed relief of the summer holidays :wink: Things must improve soon so you can cope with the demands of September, yes? I too spent time in bed this afternoon due to the demands of having two bathrooms done, going out at the weekend, doing my humira today and the heat but I accept it is not a weakness on my part: I suspect you view it as a weakness but, believe me, it isn't. It's a necessity. And yes, you will see your colleagues tomorrow - a taste of your old normality, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    You are right. I do still see having to go to bed as a weakness and feel resentful that I have to do it.
    It was good to see colleagues and pupils again and yes, to have a taste of normality. Just need to get the balance right, and remember I need to take rest breaks at work!
    Hope you start to feel better soon and that the weather starts to freshen up and cool down a bit so it's one less thing for you to have to deal with.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, Slosh! You got through it and are even managing to look forward to some bits. I'm sorry the afternoon had to be lost to recovery time and I do hope tomorrow and Wednesday might be a little easier. I'm sure there was a lot of 'first day tension' today and your joints would definitely not like that so, with luck, that will be missing tomorrow. Good back up plan. I hope the GP can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Slosh
    Well done you
    Its bound to get easier and the school holidays coming up soon
    Lovely Jubley :lol:
    Give in and rest when you need to :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Thanks both. I'm just doing 9.00 -1.00 this week. I did suggest doing more, 6 hours a day but my headteacher just looked at me and said "no". I am also allowed to leave earlier if needed.
    As for enjoying it. I do love my job, most of the time at least.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    What a sensible head teacher :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you, Slosh, for your good wishes but I no longer have any idea about what entails 'better', at my best I can achieve moderately grotty and that is enough for me. :) I am one of the blessed ones for whom life sucks on a year-round basis but so what? It's mind over matter - I mind but that doesn't matter. :wink:

For what it's worth I reckon you have a chance of finding a more positive reality than mine and I truly hope you do. I miss teaching (and I wonder how my former clients are getting on) but all lives move on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Well done for going back, it won't be easy at first but you will get there.

I know its not the same but after being missing 1 year of uni and then going back 4 days per week I found it very hard at first. Every day I was exhausted and found it really hard to cope but eventually things got easier as the weeks went on.
  • Slosh
    Well I made it! Monday night was awful but luckily I was able to get a GP appointment for Tuesday afternoon. Just was well because Tuesday I was hardly able to get anything done as the pain was so severe I was unable to focus or concentrate on anything. By the time I saw my GP I was so tired with it that I was practically in tears. He has given me a two week course of Oxycodone. They have really hit the spot so to speak and as a bonus I had my best nights sleep in months. Only thing is I don't know if I will be allowed to take them longer term.

I also had the loveliest compliment paid to me. A colleague said it was lovely to have me back because I'm "such a happy smiley person".
    Julian of Norwich