Gabapentin

Options
silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 24. Jul 2014, 05:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. have been prescribed Gabapentin for OA of hips and lower spine. Having sciatica pain. also have two prolapsed discs. Anyone have experience with this medication please? Thanks .

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hello silkysam
    I have oa of my hips and had one THR..and oa of the back..I was on gaberpentin, but stopped it for a while , but boy did I feel the pain, I have just had it changed to pregabalin and you don't need to take has much.. the higher dose knocked me out, so up it very slowly till you get to one that suits..hope this helps..
    Love
    Barbara
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks so much Barbara :). GP told me to take one at night for first week, the increase in same way, until I am taking 3X daily. Was a little nervous, but feel more comfortable knowing you found it helped. Thanks so much. PS, what does THR mean? barbara12 thanks so much .
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    silkysam wrote:
    Thanks so much Barbara :). GP told me to take one at night for first week, the increase in same way, until I am taking 3X daily. Was a little nervous, but feel more comfortable knowing you found it helped. Thanks so much. PS, what does THR mean? barbara12 thanks so much .
    Sorry THR is a total hip replacement..and TKR is a knee... :) everyone's difference with meds so all you can do is give it a go...I only took mine twice a day intead of 3 times..but like I say I feel better taking the pregabalin in a lower does..
    Love
    Barbara
  • silkysam
    Options
    barbara12 ,Oh, thanks for that. Did THR make difference? I will definitely give the Gabapentin a go. :)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've been on Gabapentin for a while now and it does help with a combination of other meds.
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thank you for feedback bubbadog. Feeling more confident with informaion shared. It does make a great difference knowing how others control their pain. :)
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi

I've just started this medicine as I couldn't tolerate the higher doses of pregabalin. I'm on 600mg at night only then I will start taking them in the morning as well.

I was prescribed this by a really good neurologist, who knows what he is doing. My husband says I'm sleeping straight through the night without pain, which can only be good! :D
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Interested in this as getting my pain relief sorted is getting difficult. I have OA in my neck. I can no longer take anti-inflammatries due to stomach damage. My usual pain relief is 2 paracetamol 4 x a day taken together with Meptazinol, an opiate, and duloxetine as well at night.
    I recently returned to work, just 4 hours a day for the last three days of term but tbe pain became too much so instead of the meptazinol I now have a two week course of Oxycodone, a morphine derivative. It's working really well but GP said it was only for short term use. Wondering if I should ask about Gabapentin or pregabalin as I really need to get this sorted in order to manage work. Can GPs prescribe them?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • silkysam
    Options
    Amazing information. I am not alone :D Great thanks to you both for feedback . Blub that is brilliant that the Neurologist you really trust prescribed it for you and you can actually sleep throughout the night! Oh the thought!It would be amazing to at least get a good night's sleep and then be able to cope with the day. So I am really grateful for all your feedback. All of it is really having a positive uplifting effect on me.
  • silkysam
    Options
    Lubs, I am sorry , I looked back at your message and see I made a typo! So sorry. Anyway, thanks Lubs :D